Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Kohler command pro CH 730. It began running rough…

Good afternoon ! I...

Good afternoon ! I have a Kohler command pro CH 730. It began running rough so I replaced the ignition coils. After replacing the coils it turned over a few times and will not turn over. I tested the battery and it is 12.63 volts. At that point I replaced the starter and still have the same problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 2 weeks now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Thinking it may be a switch/sensor issue I replaced the following switches. Brake interlock switch, Ignition switch assembly, PTO switch, Drive lever switches, Seat delay module, Seat switch, bith 12 V relays and both 20 amp fuses Yes, I have been performing the work myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am able to turn the motor over by hand and also removed the spark plugs, thinking it was vapor locked. So, at this point I stall have the same issue. Turn on the ignition switch to start the mower and nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, the fuel valve is open. Prior to starting the work I changed both fuel screens in the bottom of the fuel tanks. After changing the screens I had the mower running and added a few gallons of fresh gas

11/20/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Try jumping the solenoid. Follow the reD wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. try jumping the solenoid by placing a screw driver on both poles together and see if machine will turn over. Make sure to engage parking brake and have key turned on. If it turns over, the solenoid is bad.

ok , standby

will do.

with the parking brake engaged and the ignition switch on I, I jumped the solenoid as you explained. The solenoid engaged without any problem
I also checked and cleaned where the battery and wiring harness ground attaches to grounding point on the motor.
If you can jump the solenoid and it spins the engine over as it should does it start the machine with the brake locked and the key on
The only thing that spun was the solenoid. The starter did not engage. Guess I have a bad starter then.
I am going to disconnect the battery and put the old starter back on and jump the solenoid on it. If the same thing occurs I now have 2 bad starters sitting here. Will let you know how I make out in a bit

I​f you jump the solenoid and the starter doesn't engage, the issue is normally with the starter. if you have a new starter on machine already though, I would begin to look at the wiring to make sure it is all connected good and properly

I put the old starter on and jumped it and the same thing happened. The Solenoid engaged but the starter did not and the motor did not spin. With seeing that I am thinking its a starter issue since the starter is not engaging the flywheel. Then again I bought a remanufactured starter to replace the old one. We all know how they go. I will go out and get a factory new starter. Thanks for all of your help.

I honestly would not buy a new starter. give me a moment to upload some more info for you please

ok,

when you jump the solenoid, you have the reed wire going from the battery to the starter solenoid, and then from the solenoid to the starter. are all these connections good, clean, and tight ?

I installed the new ignition switch this morning amd just re connected the battery and checked the connections 30 min ago when i put tbe old starter back on. To find the same issue
i am thinking the only other issue it could be is something within one of the connections. if that is the case i will replace the whole wiring harness. Since it is over 10 years old
When you jump the solenoid and it's not engaging starter, the only things it will be is either the starter is bad, or a loose connection.
You can use jumper cables and run STRAIGHT to the starter from a battery and if starter doesn't engage, the starter is the issue
ok, great ! thanks for your help
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you.
Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and your rating helps me to achieve this
Will do ! Thank you John !

I ​am here if you need more even after rating is completed

I see question is still open and unrated. Please, let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician