Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Murray 24" Rear Engine Riding Mower stuck in gear.

Customer Question
Murray 24" Rear Engine Riding...
Murray 24" Rear Engine Riding Mower stuck in gear
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 13B326JC758 about 3 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: actually be someone to talk to vs an automated responce
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/20/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 26 days ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Are you able to move the machine any at all? The gear selector is in the neutral position?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No, wont move. And yes neutral position.

It sounds like maybe the brake is stuck or locked on.

If you will look up under the rear of the machine on the side of the transmission you will see the brake assembly, just make certain that it is has released.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The pedal feels kind of rough when you push down on it. You can here a small click from the battery when you go to turn it over. Plenty of charge. I think it could be the linkage being stuck or some sort of safety related switch.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That sounds like it may be it.

Can you push or roll the machine?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Would you still be able to crank it over with the brake stuck?

Yes, the engine would still crank over and start but you just wouldn't be able to move the machine.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
no, it wont push. the wheels seem to be in gear. It will roll 6 " forward and 6 " backwards.

It sounds like you may have a couple of different issues.

One is not being able to move the machine.

The other is not being able to get it started.

As for not being able to move the machine it sounds like the brake might be stuck.

As for not being able to get the engine to crank over it sounds like you could have a safety switch not contacting properly. The first one that I would check is the safety switch on the discharge of the mower deck. There is a safety switch where the mulch cover/discharge chute mount onto the mower deck if this switch is not depressed fully then the machine will not crank over.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Correct. I think there may be a physical adjustment that needs to be made to take it out of gear and at the same time its affecting some sort of switch that is preventing me from cranking it over

No, the brake will not affect the cranking or starting of the machine.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok, ill check that
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
If the break were stuck would I still be able to slightly move the mower forward or backwards?

Yes, it would still move a few inches in both directions.

That sounds good.

Let me know if you need additional assistance with this. Just come back here and continue our conversation.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ok

Thank you and good luck

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician