Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Murray 24" Rear Engine Riding Mower stuck in gear.

Customer Question
Murray 24" Rear Engine...

Murray 24" Rear Engine Riding Mower stuck in gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

13B326JC758 about 3 years

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Actually be someone to talk to vs an automated responce

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Hello?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/20/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 7 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Are you able to move the machine any at all? The gear selector is in the neutral position?

No, wont move. And yes neutral position.

It sounds like maybe the brake is stuck or locked on.

If you will look up under the rear of the machine on the side of the transmission you will see the brake assembly, just make certain that it is has released.

The pedal feels kind of rough when you push down on it. You can here a small click from the battery when you go to turn it over. Plenty of charge. I think it could be the linkage being stuck or some sort of safety related switch.
That sounds like it may be it.

Can you push or roll the machine?

Would you still be able to crank it over with the brake stuck?

Yes, the engine would still crank over and start but you just wouldn't be able to move the machine.

no, it wont push. the wheels seem to be in gear. It will roll 6 " forward and 6 " backwards.

It sounds like you may have a couple of different issues.

One is not being able to move the machine.

The other is not being able to get it started.

As for not being able to move the machine it sounds like the brake might be stuck.

As for not being able to get the engine to crank over it sounds like you could have a safety switch not contacting properly. The first one that I would check is the safety switch on the discharge of the mower deck. There is a safety switch where the mulch cover/discharge chute mount onto the mower deck if this switch is not depressed fully then the machine will not crank over.

Correct. I think there may be a physical adjustment that needs to be made to take it out of gear and at the same time its affecting some sort of switch that is preventing me from cranking it over

No, the brake will not affect the cranking or starting of the machine.

Ok, ill check that
If the break were stuck would I still be able to slightly move the mower forward or backwards?

Yes, it would still move a few inches in both directions.

That sounds good.

Let me know if you need additional assistance with this. Just come back here and continue our conversation.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

ok

Thank you and good luck