Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 2014 11.5 craftsman snow blower and will not prime.

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 11.5 craftsman snow blower and will not prime. I hear air, but cannot create any fuel pressure. Rick

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It worked great for 2 winters, this year when went to start had the issue.. I change plug and have good spark. even has son in law help and we put small amount of gas in spark plug chamber with spark plug out and it fired and ran for a few second.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

We also drained fuel in tank and put in new fuel. opened the carb nut and bled out the air. but fuel is not getting into carb. fuel tank is a gravity feed style. it is a 30 inch and I keep it in our enclosed garage all year round

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Likely not, but I am trying to find out the parts and or potential solution. my son in law is a HD mechanic and has snow mobiles & motorcyles and is quite mechanical

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What would be the trouble ? why is the gas not getting to the carb? and why no pressure when you prime it. push 60 times and no pressure

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/20/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Model number? Need to check primer bulb and if ti has fuel line to it, or is part of the housing. Primer is obviously not sucking fuel, so either is bad, or there is no fuel to it. You have fuel from tank to the inlet of carburetor?

it is a sears Canada - Craftsman 30" snow blower Model###-##-#### SN# ***** 002087. with a 11.5 HP briggs & Stratton engine.SN 14 0716 88 25340. I put a new spark plug and we have spark. we took off fuel tank and drained fuel that was in tank and put in fresh fuel. we undid carb nut on bottom & drained fuel, took off & looked. good. we inspected primer hose and no leaks. we hear air which sounds like is coming from carb. Seal on carb looks good as is not leaking any fuel. The primer line is a separate line that goes from primer bulb into carb assembly. Rick
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago

Was the carburetor bowl full of fuel? The primer sounds like it should be under the fuel level, but is above the fuel, so it gets no fuel when pumped. The Briggs model number might help, but you did not include it, It will look like example(###) ###-####B1.