Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Onan 12000 propane driven generator. How many

I have an Onan...

I have an Onan 12000 propane driven generator. How many hours of operation before oil change and general maintenance?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Onan rs 1200

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly - depends on how complicated. But I'd like to determine how often the maintenance, like changing the oil, is required.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

NO - my unit is running now and has been for about 20 hours. The thought came to me that I don't have any maintenance details, so I found this on=line service operation.

11/20/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

If you will provide me with the full model number of the unit, I can get you a copy of the Operator manual, which has the service schedule in it.

I think the model is RST 1200-176. There is also a different number, 12GHAB written on an old service order. The original Sales broscure indicates RS 12000. Bot***** *****ne is, I cannot check the number on the unit now. It is quite dark and the unit is running. All I want to find out is how many run hours are thert between oil chjanges and filters? I don't want the unit to burn up for lack of an oil change!!
I don't need a phone call and I'm not doing any work on the unit tonight. Please just proviide the answer to the oil change question.
I would like to get the answer in the next hour.

I'm sorry.

I've been sick the lasts couple weeks, and I had to take a break.

GHAB is the series, but is only part of the model number.

On average usage, the oil and filter will be changed at 100 hour intervals.

I have uploaded the manual for you.

Click here to download it.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician