Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I am having problems with my gp 5500 generac which isnt

Hi! I am having...

Hi! I am having problems with my gp 5500 generac which isnt producing electricity

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since this last Tuesday November 14

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Actually I took the generator to an authorized dealer called Power Sport Warehouse on Wednesday November 15. I got a call from them saying it was fixed, and got the generator Friday November 17. When turned on, the power electricity stop working

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

The model is generac gp 5500. i its new. i have been using the generator since October 13

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Really want to have the generator to produce power. I am in PR and I without power for 59 days since Hurricane Maria

What is refer to brush?
It has to do with the automatic voltage regulator regarding brush
11/18/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the Item number and Serial number from the data tag on the genset?

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
would this be it T56014050036443?
serial number N,(###) ###-####
1-***-***-****
Phone call session started
ok. how to know the automatic voltage regulator is working, and how to identify the brushes?
i really want my generator to start producing power again
finally found the serial number(###) ###-####
model(###) ###-####

We will get it going.

But you need to be patient. I can only type so fast, and I have 4 people on line, all wanting answers right now. I am working as fast as I can.

I apologize for the misunderstanding of my message. I meant eventually the issue will be solve since having this problem on Tuesday November 14

The first thing I need you to do is to do a procedure called flashing the field.

1. Remove the spark plug wire – you do not want the engine to start while doing this.
2. Obtain an old extension cord that you can cut one end off, or an old power cord from an appliance (you will need the male end left on the cord).
3. This step not needed.
4. Note how on the receptacle, one slot is longer than the other. This longer slot is the negative slot. It is critical that you get it hooked up correctly.
5. Determine which wire of the cord will go to the negative slot.
6. Connect the negative wire to the negative terminal of a 12V battery.
7. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
8. Plug the cord into the receptacle and pull the starter cord 6-8 times.
9. Immediately unplug the cord. DO NOT LEAVE THE CORD PLUGGED IN FOR MORE THAN 6 OR 8 SECONDS.
10. Disconnect the wires from the battery.
11. Reconnect the spark plug wire and see if the set is now producing electricity.

If it is not, please let me know and we can troubleshoot further.
.

thank you for responding. i dont think this model has a battery. if so, where is it located?
this model doesnt have battery. what step I need to?

You can use any 12V battery. Lawn mower, car, motorcycle - it doesn't matter.

unfortunately, we dont the battery you are reffering. After the Hurricane Maria, its been a hassle to get things. What can be done next?

That is what you need to do first.

You are going to need a battery.

A car battery works great.