Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

The two fuel lines on a cav pump on a ad3 152 Perkins were…

The two fuel lines...

The two fuel lines on a cav pump on a ad3 152 Perkins were crossed and since then if you can get it running there is a lot of blow by in the crankcase and it runs terrible

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not long a couple of weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Engine work yes pump work no

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

The engine was rebuilt 2 years before ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I thought it might be a broken piston so I pulled the head and pan and the Pistons and valves are fine

11/18/2017
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

1st off check your oil , sounds like you have fuel

mixed into oil, if yes, drain and change oil and filter

then let it run at 800 RPM for while

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Morning Just following up with you did my answer help you ??Please remember to rate my answeror the money you paid stays at JA and I get nothing for my time Wayne
In the past anytime I had this problem it was either a piston or valve removed head and pistons and valves are good it was blowing compression out the intake and crankase

HI

Thank you for the response

I have rebuilt engines for 34+ years

if you have compression in crank case

it is always hands down Piston stuck /broken rings

or the piston it self , did you pull the pistons out of the cylinder

Next step check timing gears I am suspecting a bad injector pump
Not yet but I will

Thank you for that

injection pump will not cause pressure in the crank case

did the oil smell like fuel ?? and thin

The oil wasn't thin and did not smell like fuel

HI

OK that is good

I suggest to pull the pistons to examine

Ok

Keep me posted ,Please

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
When I pulled the Pistons all 3 had broken rings

Well sorry to hear that

but we knew it was going to be something

along them lines