Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 150cc chinese go kart. cannot get the spark plug to…

Customer Question
I have a 150cc...

I have a 150cc chinese go kart. cannot get the spark plug to give a spark. changed out regulator, cdi, ignition coil, spark plug. it is a DC cdi, no voltage coming out of ignition pin. wired up an ac cdi and had voltage coming from ignition pin, but still no spark on either ignition coil (old and new)

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Working on it for the last month in the afternoons after work

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 7 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What is the brand and model of the kart engine that you are working on? Have you checked the pick up or trigger module that is located next to the flywheel on this engine? It sounds like you have checked/replaced all other components of the ignition system other than this and the primary function of the pick up/trigger module is to tell the rest of the system when to fire.

If you can provide me with model information from the engine I will be able to assist you further with this issue.

It is a Kandi spyder 150cc. Actually, further research and voltage checking had led me back to the trigger module, I put a new DC cdi on and got an initial spark from the spark plug, but afterwards nothing and no voltage coming out of cdi to ignition coil. This led me back to the trigger module. I had pulled it off, cleaned rust debris accumulation from the magnet, reconnected and initially had good village readings,.1-.2. Seems it was short lived. Tried repositioning the trigger module, but the best I can get is a short peak voltage of.1, but nothing continuous, it always drops out after a split second or two. Also, I noticed the new DC cdi gets very warm to the touch, is this normal? Either way, a new trigger module is ordered and on its way, should be here by Friday.

Yes, the cdi will get warm to the touch when working.

I believe that the trigger module will solve your problem. Once you get the new one and install it you should have your problem solved.

If you need additional assistance with this issue you can always come back here and continue our conversation.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

Okay, I got the new trigger pickup module in and I am beyond confused at this point. I installed it and with the blue/white wire disconnected from the CDI box it works flawlessly. 0.1-0.2 volts AC steady, without fail. Let me go thru some more detailed background and explain the issues I am having.Original thoughts on go kart were mechanical and so I ordered a new carburator which came with an included electric choke (noticed the precvious one got hot to touch while trying to crank). after installing noticed a burning wire (common ground). cut out burnt wire and replaced with a beefier 10 gauge wire and cleaned all contact surfaces. This is the only major electrical modifcation done to wiring harness. replaced regulator rectifier which had wrong pin hook-up(on new one) so I spliced into the old harness. All wires are matched up correctly as far as I can tell. four wire, red to red, white to white, etc. sounds good when engine turns over, starter working great, which is mostly what the regulator rectifier is for on DC CDI wiring diagram. have good combustion, but still no spark. Here is where things get crazy.First, I'm going to list the new parts for easy reference:
Original CDI. = CDI-0
New CDI #1 = CDI-1
other new CDI = CDI-2
Original Ighnition Coil (and only one I ever saw a spark from) = spark-0
new ignition coil = spark-1Okay, originally would get an occassional weak spark on CDI-0/spark-0, usually as letting go of key. replaced trigger pickup module and nothing for a spark on either ignition coil. Also have two different new spark plugs. can't get anything. the voltage check's are where things are going really crazy.With ignition key on:
CDI-0 -- with trigger pickup module disconnected I'm getting ~5v ac backfed out of blue/white wire. with key on but not turning over engine ~0.2v ac that falls to 0 when cranking on wire feeding ignition coil.
CDI-1 -- with TPM disconnected (at bullet connection for all of these) 0v ac backfed from blue/white wire(correct I believe), but no voltage out to ignition coil with key on or with cranking.
CDI-2 -- with TPM disconnected getting ~24v ac backfed from blue/white wire, ~5v ac constant to ignition coil with key on and falls to ~3v ac while cranking.Additionally, spark-1 tests for ~8000 ohms resistance across cable but only coil to ever produce a spark
spark-2 tests for 2000ohms (what I've read it should be), but have yet to see a spark.I have an AC CDI i ordered by mistake, should I jump the red/black into the ac cdi and see if I get different results? other than the power source, the two cdi's pin layouts are the same.another note, I ordered most parts from amazon, could they simply be bad parts or does it sound like something is just wrong? don't understand why the blue/white sire on CDI is backfeeding on two of the three cdi boxes.

Let me research a little more about this issue and I will return to answer some of your questions.

As for the regulator/rectifier it has nothing at all to do with the ignition system on the machine. It's only function is to recharge the battery, it physically takes AC voltage from the alternator and converts it to DC voltage to keep the battery charged up once the engine is running.

This ignition system should all be DC with no AC voltage feeding anything other than the regulator/rectifier which again is only there for charging of the battery.

Allow me to do some additional research on this machine and I will return shortly.