Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I've had a generator for a year or two or longer. I charged…

Customer Question
I've had a generator...

I've had a generator for a year or two or longer. I charged it up fully when I got it but haven't needed to use it since it was only for emergencies at that time but now I want to use it to do a small heater. When I checked to see if all the bars were full that last bar showed empty and when I plugged it into an outlet it wouldn't show full. Can I use this generator to power this small heater even though the 6th bar doesn't show full.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Looks like I bought it in 2015 but I can't find the make or model. It's a Patriot Solar generator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What kind of work are we talking about?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I guess not.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/17/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Your unit is not a true generator - it is more of an inverter pack.

The built in battery holds the charge that is changed by the inverter to 120V,.

The bars on your unit only show the state of charge of the battery. If all the bars are not lit, the battery is not fully charged.

There is a good chance that the battery is damaged, if you have let it sit for 2 years without keeping the charge topped off.

The unit may or may not work - it just depends on the condition of the battery. Using it with less than all bars showing will not hurt it, but it won't last as long as a fully charged unit with a good battery.

If the battery is bad enough, the unit simply won't work at all.

But you are not going to hurt anything by trying it.