Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 2012 Troy bolt. 2012 Troy bolt. It won't drive fast

I have a 2012 Troy...
I have a 2012 Troy bolt
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2012 Troy bolt
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It won't drive fast forward or reverse and I have replaced the drive belt
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Can you provide your model number for me? They are located under your mower seat.

Did you replace both belts, or only one of your drive belts?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I replaced both belts

Thanks for your response. Can you get your model numbers for me? With these numbers, I can pull up a diagram of your mower.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
2012 Troy bilt xp horse riding mower 46 inch hydro static

Were you having this problem, before you replaced your belts?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
There is only one drive belt

Are your drive belts tight? If they are slipping, this can affect the performance of your transaxle/transmission.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
From the tranny to the engine

Yes ...

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Fairly tight
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It is hydrostatic

There is rod / wire at the rear of your mower. This is your bypass rod that you pull out when you need to push your mower if your engine is not not running. This rod attaches to a lever on your transmission. check to see if the lever on your transmission is moving fully in both directions, as you pull out and push in your bypass rod.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It will drive forward and reverse but very slow no matter how far you push the speed control lever

Sometimes a build up of dirt and debris on your transmission can restrict movement of your bypass lever.

I am referring to the rod at the rear of your mower.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I have moved the rod forward and back and push it back forward and seems to be doing just fine but still want go any faster

Thank you for checking. Have you been pulling attachments behind your mower?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do cut grass up and down hills

If your belt is tight and your bypass lever is working as it should, this could indicate that your transmission is failing. We need to determine if your brakes are partially sticking.

Fully release your brake pedal, then pull the bypass rod in the rear of your mower out, and try pushing your mower. Let's see if it rolls freely.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The brakes hold good and when you release the brakes the mower will roll easy

Have you recently removed one of your rear wheels?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I Believe the mower rolls with the brakes off even without pulling the rod out
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I have not removed any tires

Based upon what you and I have covered, I believe your transmission has internal issues.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
That's what I was thinking

This is why I like to check everything that is external first. One other thing you can check when you have a chance.

Check the splines inside the pulley on your transmission, in case your pulley is slipping on your input shaft.

Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Thanks for the positive rating. I do hope all goes well for you. Sometimes the key inside the double pulley that is below your engine can wear, and cause slippage. Check this pulley as well. Process of elimination.

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician