Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 21 hp &S Craftsman lawn tractor. I was bagging

I have a 21...

I have a 21 hp B&S Craftsman lawn tractor. I was bagging leaves, started the tractor, shut if off for 30 minutes and went to restart it and it wouldn't turn over. I suspected the battery, took that to the auto parts store and they checked the battery and said it was bad. (5 years old) Installed a new battery, same issue. Put the charger on it and it would turn over until it hit the compression stroke and then wouldn't go past that. Took the battery back to the store had it rechecked, it was good. Called Sears parts, ordered new starter, same issue. Gets to compression stroke and it wont spin past that. I can move the engine to top of compression stroke, starter will spin it to it hits compression again and stops.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes all that is good. I run 92 non oxygenated fuel. It started an ran 30 minutes prior no issues and had filled the tank prior to starting it the first time

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Do you need engine model numbers or anything

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Are you familiar with checking your valve clearances?

I've seen a you tube on it for this engine and assembled my engine for my Plymouth Duster so yes I've done it, why would the engine run and then have valve clearance issues on a restart 30 min later

Thanks for your reply. I have seen this issue occur suddenly, many times. There are two possible reason for our problem. Either your valves are out of adjustment, or the compression release mechanism on your cam shaft has failed.

I would like for you to try something when you have a chance.

are you saying you want another $24

No, the phone call is only optional for customers who rather not type. Remove your spark plug from your cylinder, then turn your key to start position, to see if your engine spins freely.

ok, back shortly

Move your spark plug wire away from your spark plug hole, in case gas spews out.

If gas spews out, this can also be the source of our problem.

spins over with plug out

Thank you for checking. This confirms that either your valves are out of adjustment, or your compression release mechanism has failed.

I would focus on valves first.

pull the valve cover and check the clearance

Yes, correct. You will check your valves when your piston is 1/4" past top dead center on your compression stroke.

Intake Valve .003" - .005"

Exhaust Valve .005" - .007"

Ok that will take a bit, how long are you here

I will be here until 10:00 pm central time.

if the valves check, what's involved on the compression release

You will have to remove your engine from your mower to replace your camshaft.

You will need a new camshaft, a new oil seal, and a new sump gasket.

Great, any other possibilities since it run 30 min prior and wasn't having any issues while it was running

I don't think so. These failures almost never give a prior warning.

ok the fun begins

Take your time. You will make it work.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.

Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician