Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I just installed a new drive belt on my Murray mower, but…

I just installed a...

I just installed a new drive belt on my Murray mower, but now I don't have reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

2002 Murray 40inch cut riding mower

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Only that I put on a new drive belt

I thought I'd get an answer immediately
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Need complete model number from tag on the frame. Murray makes thousands of different models. Changing belt should not affect reverse, unless belt is jamming the f/r linkage. ???

Ok, here it is - 2001 Murray 40 inch cut, model # 405014×92A. It has a 14.5 hp engine on it. That's about all I know so I hope u can help me get reverse working now. Thanks for attending my questions.

See the diagram above, this is not belt problem, but is shift linkage problem. Check the deck mounting brackets, to be sure they are not jamming the shift rod to transmission, keeping it from going into reverse.

He'll no I didn't like the answer I got. I didn't learn anything from this representative.

I work from past experience and what customer gives me to go by. You obviously had the deck off the mower to install the drive belt. The belt itself is straight forward, and would not interfere with the transmission and reverse. So that leaves the deck mounting. I will opt out and see if you get a better answer. Have a nice day.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will try to assist you with this issue.

I have a few questions in regards ***** ***** of the belt that will help me better assist you.

Was the machine working okay prior to belt replacement?

After replacing the belt you now have forward movement but no reverse? Is this correct?

Take me through the steps that you did in order to replace the belt. Did you remove pulleys, wheels, transmission in order to replace the belt?

JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician
I use this mower a lot and everything on it works great. All I have ever done to the mower is replace tires, deck belt, and change oil periodically. I still have the owners manual and did everything by the book as I always have. And ur correct, it had all forward gears and reverse until after I replaced the drive belt. The forward gears still work good but I have no reverse