Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

New battery. Ran well for an hour. Choked it ,turned key…

New battery. Ran well...

New battery. Ran well for an hour. Choked it ,turned key ,made a sound of a dead battery. would not turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today. Month ago wouldn’t start found a mouse nest on starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes and yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. If you have a suggestion I will try to fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t think so

11/16/2017
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the charging system is not keeping the battery charged. Since you mentioned that there was a mouse nest in the starter area. There are wires in that area that come from the alternator or stator which recharge the battery in order to keep it fully charged. If these wires were chewed into or even just insulation chewed off and allowing for the wires to ground out against the block then the charging system would not function properly and the battery would run down after the machine has been running for a while to a point that it will not have enough amperage to crank the engine again to restart. The first thing that I would look at in this case is the charging system.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

Thank you for your quick response. It’s 10:05 PM I will check in the morning and send a reply Gene T

No problem, just let me know what you find once you have a chance to check it out.

Problem resolved. The motor freeze up caused by bared wire as you suggested. Thanks for the help .I will consider joining your group next time I have a problem. Thanks again. Gene TProblem resolved. Your suggestion was correct. Thanks for your assistance. Your rating is 5 Star. Gene

Thank you for that information. I am glad that I was able to provide a solution for you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that if provided for you.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician