Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a code 32 and I diagnose everything you listed

Customer Question
brushes look good ohms are...
I have a code 32 and I diagnose everything you listed brushes look good ohms are 33 yet I get no voltage, what else are my options.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Code 32 means different things on different generators.

What are the brand, model number and serial number of yours?

Oman marquis gold 5500 model 5.5hgjab-1038d serial L050865541

Directly above your control panel, mounted into the side of the generator toward the top, is a small plastic piece with 2 wires attached to it, held in with a single 10mm bolt. This is the brush holder.
Watching which wire goes where, disconnect them both.

Now remove the brush holder - remove the 10 mm bolt and pull the holder straight out. Sometimes they fit pretty snug, and you need to wiggle it as you pull it out.
Check the brushes. They should be worn into an even arch pattern, and should not be chipped or cracked.
They should slide freely into and out of the holder. If they stick or bind, clean the holder with electrical contact cleaner.
The brushes should both be at least 7/16" long.
Now look inside the hole where the holder was.
You will see 2 metal bands that the brushes ride against. These are the slip rings.
The slip rings are made of copper, and should be fairly shiny.
You will see the wear pattern from the brushes on the slip rings.
The wear pattern should be pretty well centered vertically on the slip rings.
If one or both brushes are riding off the edge of the slip rings, this is a serious issue that must be addressed.
If the slip rings are dirty, they need to be cleaned by attaching a piece of scotch brite or 400 grit sandpaper to the end of a small stick.
Press the scotch brite to the rings, and press and hold start for a few seconds.
Do not hold start for more than about 10 seconds at a time without stopping to let the starter cool for a few minutes.
Once the rings are clean, ohm across them. They should read about 30 ohms.
Now use a strong flashlight to watch the rings as you press and hold the start button for 3-5 seconds.
The slip rings should start turning at the exact same time as the engine, should turn at the same speed as the engine, and should stop turning at the same time as the engine.
If they do not, you have a drive issue that we must diagnose.
Once the rings are clean, and if everything checks good, reinstall the holder.
Set your meter to VDC, and connect the positive lead to the wire that was connected to the lower brush holder terminal. This wire will be marked F+.
Connect the negative lead to the upper brush holder terminal. This wire will be marked F-.
Press and hold 'Start' for 3-5 seconds, and note the voltage.
How does all of this check out?
.

Already did all of these things every thing checks good but can't get any voltage out of brushes

You don't get voltage out of the brushes - voltage is put IN TO the brushes, via those 2 wires.

And I just now noticed a mistake in that check..

You connect the black meter lead to he WIRE that was connected to the upper brush holder terminal, not to the terminal itself.

No I ohm across the tabs on the brush block ohm at 33 but no voltage

There is no voltage coming out of the brushes.

The voltage comes out of the wires.

We have another generater identical to that one that we are working on and are using it for diagnostics. When we disconnect the wires from the brush block on the other one and crank the motor we get 10 volts and on the broken one we get nothing

You get 10 volts from where?

The terminals from the brush block

That is called residual voltage, and on this unit it means nothing.

You do not measure for voltage at the brushes.

The instructions clearly state to measure voltage at the wires - not at the brush terminals.

The only thing you measure at the brush terminals is resistance.

Ok so I do have 10 voltes coming out of the terminals what should I do nexh

I am going to opt out of this question.

Perhaps someone else may be able to help you.

I meant the wires sory