Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a lawn tractor with a Briggs Intek engine that has a…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a lawn tractor with a Briggs Intek engine that has a surging problem, It is fairly new with about 25 hours. I have done all the recommended checks including: fresh fuel, new fuel filter, cleaned the fuel tank, verified that the tank vent and feed line are clear. The carburetor has been disassembled and cleaned including all the small orifices with no blockages found. On the air side all the joints between the carb and engine have been checked by spraying carb cleaner with no effect. Could this be a governor problem. There are two things that will end the surge. 1) if you block the air intake almost completely it the engine will smooth out and run just fine. 2) If you hold the throttle linkage steady it also smooths out at high speed but as you back off on the throttle the engine will stall. Does this tell you anything?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

Yes, the tractor was purchased in May 2016 and operated just fine until this fall when the surging started. It is almost gone if you run it at full throttle with a load - blades turning and moving. Also having the choke partially on seems to help. Total hours as I said are less than 25

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We (my daughter and I) have done all of the stuff so far ourselves but we are out of ideas. If possible we will do it ourselves. The engine is still under Warranty but all repair shops tell be this is a fuel or air issue and would not be covered. A bad governor would be covered but I don't know how to check this

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What is the engine make and model? Indication is the engine is not getting enough fuel. Do you have a full flow of fuel to the carburetor from the tank and filter?

Briggs Model 440000. I believe fuel is flowing. When I look at the filter it is about 2/3 to 3/4 full with the engine running at full throttle
I do not want to pay for the call
Curtis are you still there?
I give up. Apparently second opinions are very low priority there. Your last response was at 2:07 my time coming up on two hours ago. unacceptable.

?? OK>

No I am not going to pay another $24 to talk to you. Just continue the chat. If its more than five minutes from now forget it. I'm going to complain about this company's bate and switch tactics. Two hours waiting for a response on line is rediculous. You asked for the model number and I gave it to you so let's go from there

With this being a twin engine, I would run a cylinder test. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at time, to see if both cyliders are firing.

Did you see my last post?

Did you read my initial description of the problem - first post in this string? I know both cylinders are firing because when airflow is partially blocked off the engine smooths out.

That is not a valid test. These engines can run smooth on just one cylinder.