Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Briggs generac exl 8000 runs fine but oil level keeps

Customer Question
Briggs generac exl 8000...

Briggs generac exl 8000 runs fine but oil level keeps rising. disconnected fuel line from shutoff and put container but no drips. must be adding while running why?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just noticed after changing oil and checking after running for 1/2 hour

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I loosened carb assembly and put fuel on and float worked fine. No fuel leaked or came out of carb while it was still on it's mounting bolts but loose so I could see both ends with fuel valve on for 2 hours, not running of course. After 1/2 hour of running though when checking the oil a few minutes later, the oil will just pour out of the filler opening????

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/14/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 5 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

I ran into one of these a few years ago and it ended up being an issue with the o-ring seals on the dipstick and oil cap that were causing the problem. I replaced those two o-rings and the problem went away. You would never see any leaks anywhere but after running the engine a very short amount of the it would actually fill the crankcase with fuel, almost seemed like it was making its own oil. I went through three oil changes and several phone calls back to Briggs and Stratton before we finally figured out what the problem was. You can replace those o-rings and changed the oil then give it another try.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

John thanks for the reply. I just came home from work so sorry for the delay. this engine is a generac 15 hp single. No dip stick or tube. No leaks at cap and oil is at edge to start with. Do you have any experience on generac engines?

I do have some experience with the Generac engine but have never run into that issue on a Generac engine before. The only reason that you would be filling the crankcase while running is if the engine is not burning all of the fuel that is coming into the cylinder. That is the same problem that I was having with the machine that I ran into.

I have two of the xp8000e machines myself which are very similar with the same engine, they just have a few additional features.

The only other way that fuel could be getting into the oil like that is if the carburetor is leaking through but from what you have already done so far that does not sound like there is an issue with that.

Are you certain that the choke is opening all the way up when the engine is running? Only other thing that I can think of that might cause the problem.

choke is wide open. If the unit did not run so great I would think carb, but it runs perfect, at 61.4 hertz no load. 60 hertz with 6k load. It's driving me crazy.

I am still going to go back to my original thought that you have an air leak that is causing the engine to not completely burn the fuel that is entering the cylinder therefore the excess fuel is getting into the crankcase. However I have no other suggestions for you other than that.

I am going to opt out of your question which will allow for another expert to add any additional comments that they may have.

Please do not respond back to me because if you do it will lock the question and no one else can respond. Thanks

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

From what I see , this engine has gravity flow from fuel tank to the carburetor. No fuel pump. There is no fuel going thrugh running engine , going by the rings! Only way fuel can get into the oil is through the carburetor, and it only happens when engine is not running!

I loosened carb but kept it on the bolts. I could see both choke and throttle side, opened fuel valve and monitored carb. No leaks or drips any where. I even bumped unit multiple times to see if float was adjusted too close but no leaks or drips. Would a perfectly running carb somehow allow excess fuel through while it is running?? I have never run into this before.

I have been around engines for over 50 years, and I have never seen one leak gas into the crankcase through a running engine. Unless it has a block mounted fuel pump. Just does not happen! You ran engine 1/2 hour, how much oil did it gain?

about 1.5 oz to 2 oz

Was oil thinned and smelled of fuel? 2 oz would be hard to detect.

I think you are being overly concerned and have no problem! Keep fuel shutoff between uses and you will be ok.

instructions for filling is level with opening until overflowing. Once capped and ran, I would let it cool for a time with fuel valve OFF after running carb dry for shutdown. At this time when opening cap oil would keep coming out of opening until 1.5 to 2 oz would come out. I always keep fuel valeve closed. and I checked this one with container under it to see if it leaked. It did not. The oil level is rising while it is running.

OK< Not possible. But you are convinced it is happening. I will opt out. Good luck with it.

I am witnessing that it is happening. The data is proving it, I am trying to find a cause.
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 5 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the actual model number of the genset, from the ID tag on the unit?

Mod 030244 rev # 01 s/n(###) ###-####Thank you for takeing the time. i am in between meeting right now so i apologize in advance.
ENG mod(###) ###-#### s/n(###) ###-####Sorry for spelling, puncuation and capitalization of my last reply. I am running from room to room.

This engine is the Generac GH-410.

The GH-410 should have a dipstick built in to the fill cap.

The proper oil level is even with the top of the cross hatch on the dipstick.

If your cap has no dip stick, the proper fill level is not to the top of the fill hole, but to the bottom of the threads on the fill hole.

I suspect the oil is still hot when you are checking it, and the hot oil has expanded. If you are filling it to the top of the hole, even if the oil is only warm when you check it, it will still be expanded enough to cause it to over flow.

I do not have the manual here but it says "Fill to over flowing". Which I leave at level with hole. After running for 1/2 hour, then letting it cool, when the cap is opened 1.5 to 2 oz of oil comes out. The float does not leak with engine stopped (see earlier posts) Fuel valve is shut and does not leak when engine is stopped. ?????? I have never seen this and thats why I am reaching out. The manual is clear about oil level, even at the lower level, the level will eventually get higher. I'm stumped

There are only 2 things that will cause the oil to overflow like that:

1. The oil is filled to the very top, and it is not completely cooled when checking it.

2. There is fuel in the oil.

The only way fuel can get in to the oil is by leaking through the carburetor.

I know, but is it possible for a carb to let fuel get by at the same time as running perfectly? 61.4 hertz no load. 60 hertz with 6k Watt load.

Not while running. If there were enough fuel to flow through in to the crankcase while running, it would have to be so much fuel the engine would probably not be able to run at all.

Thats what I mean. I am stumped. I have never seen this. I do not know who else to ask. I have to go to my next meeting. Thank you for your help. If you hear of this from anyone else let me know Thank you

OK

Thank you for your time

Ok

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician