Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My wife and i had two Generac generators installed in 2014.

Customer Question
Good afternoon. My wife...

Good afternoon. My wife and i had two Generac generators installed in 2014. We have a service agreement and they are maintained. Both have worked well until last May when the one we have at our second home located across the street from the Atlantic ocean in Marshfield Massachusetts. Since may the service company has come and serviced the unit multiple times because when we go there the unit red light is on and the normal Saturday test run was not occurring. they reported they got it running when they serviced it but it fails right away. Again multiple times. I assume they are not able to figure out what is really wrong or they would repair it. I call, they come as they will be this coming Wednesday to do the same service again but i do not have confidence it will be properly repaired. They stated it as developed a lot of rust. I took photos today and it does have some rust on the cover and some rust on the components on the inside, not extensive in my opinion. I just checked the other model at our home in Milton Massachusetts which is several miles away from the ocean. There is some rust on the cover but no rust inside. The plumber who installed both lives close to our home in Marshfield and he has no problem and e installed 8 units in the Marshfield area and he has no reported problems like we are having. We are very concerned now that the cold winter is coming on quickly and they have not repaired the unit so it will reliably running after servicing it for 4 plus months and having it continue to fail to run. Steve Wessling(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

The warranty has May 1, 2014 date and it is covered until 4/28/24.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

8 KW/410 GUARD

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

+10 c t/sw

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 5 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

I can assume that you are having the same company come out and do the work on it every time that it has been looked at.

If you are concerned about them not being able to make the repair correctly and / or solve the problem so that this issue doesn't keep coming back to haunt you then I would suggest contacting a different repair service center in your area and have them look at it.

Do you know what the red light is indicating? Has the service center that comes out ever told you what they had to do in order to fix the red light issue?

the error message on Saturday morning said over cracked. The message this morning said "alarm"
my understanding the over crack means it kept trying to start but it would not fire.The service personal never tell us why the red light was on or what they did to fix it. I complained about this three times and my plumber also has complained.I assume it is corrosion do to salt air which is a problem on several of the metal items on our home. The service company is returning Wednesday. I thought about hiring a second company to check it out if they do not correct it this time

I know that you already have a company coming out to look at the unit at this time. I would not change that schedule as if you do it will only delay the possibility of getting the unit back up and operational however I am including a link to the dealer locater for Generac in which there are 131 Generac dealers within 50 miles of Marshfield. Some of these are sales only dealers, others are sales and service dealers, others are service only dealers but from this list you should be able to locate at least one of these that is not the current dealer that you have already had out to look at and/or repair the unit. I would suggest that you contact one of the other dealers in your area if you do not feel comfortable that the current company is competent enough to repair the unit in such a way that this same issue will not keep coming back. I would also suggest that you get something in writing from the company that is working on it that tells you what they are doing in order to fix the problem. This way you can at least verify that what they are doing would even potentially be the correct solution for the issue.

Here is the link for the dealers in your area:

http://www.generac.com/dealer-locator?category=1

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided.

What fuel source are these running on? LP/Natural Gas

I would not hire any other company to come out unless it was my last resort. You have way too many Generac authorized service centers near you to have to hire and pay someone else to come out and look at it. I would definitely be looking or thinking about possibility of contacting a different service center to look at it however.

If the service center or company that has been coming out doesn't give you any information about what was done then you can always contact Generac directly to find out once the repair has been completed. If the company comes out and does the repair under warranty then Generac will have a warranty claim that has been filed by the company which will tell them and you what was done in order to fix the machine. If the company has been out several times for this same issue then Generac will or should have multiple warranty claims for the repairs that were made. You can request copies of these claims from Generac.

You can call Generac at(###) ###-####/a>, have your unit serial number ready and explain to the representative what your issue is and they can send you copies of the warranty claims that have been submitted on your machine.

An over crank does in fact mean that the unit tried to start but after attempting it did not start and run, which is normally a fuel delivery issue most of the time.

The "alarm" reading could be for the same over crank issue.

Can you attach any of the pictures that you have here? You can use the paper clip option across the top of your comment window to attach pictures.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician