Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Model #KT745-3047 KOHLER Engine used it for 2

Customer Question
I have a Model...

I have a Model #KT745-3047 KOHLER Engine used it for 2 months won't start, checked plugs gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's new as of june used it last week Starter works file just won't kick off

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/12/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 9 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What happens if you remove the air filter and spray carburetor cleaner or a little fuel directly into the carburetor or intake? Will the engine start then?

This engine has the auto choke or smart choke system on it. I have seen a few of these that the choke plate was not fully closing on which makes the engine harder to get started especially in cooler weather. Normally what I have done is just loosen the air intake and allow everything to operate in order to make certain that the choke plate can fully close, then tighten the air intake back down and it has solved the problems that I have seen on these.

It seems like it is just not assembled properly from the factory.

Since this is a new engine you could take it back to an authorized Kohler service center in your area for repairs.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

If you need additional assistance with this issue feel free to continue our conversation here.

That makes sense, If I take the air cover off is there something I should see to make sure the choke plate can fully close

If you take the air filter cover and filter off you might be able to touch the choke plate with a flat screwdriver but it is very difficult to see because of the way that the air filter base is designed. It is easier to remove the air filter and put your hand over the opening in the air filter base to force choke it while cranking the engine to start. If the choke is the problem then normally the engine will start tight up when you do this.