Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have a craftsman snow blower only 2 yrs old, now itis

Customer Question
Have a craftsman snow...

Have a craftsman snow blower only 2 yrs old, now itis blowing white oil smoke and will only run abou 2 min

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Jus riedstaring for he season

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Dependin on what involved

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/12/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 7 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Check your oil to see if it smell like gas is mixed in with it.

We can continue from here.

ok
far all i see is ways to send mor money nothing of help yet

I cannot help you until we do some troubleshooting, to figure out what is causing our problem. Keep in mind that I cannot see or hear your engine, so I must ask troubleshooting questions.

Nope the oil is clean

The phone call is only optional for customers who prefer not to type or have difficulty typing.

Thank you for checking your oil. Is it at the correct level?

oil level is normal

Thank you for confirming.

Did you drain your fuel tank, after the last time you used your snowblower at the end of the last snowing season?

it starts but is blowing white somke an dies after 2-3 min
I did not drain it , i put stabil in it. I did jus drain it and put 1/2 tank of fresh gas

The reason I asked about your fuel, is because our problem is likely going to be cause by your carburetor.

After your engine dies, will it re-start immediately, or do you have to make for a little while?

It sart rigt up

There is something you can try. Just as your engine is beginning to die, loosen your fuel gas, to see if your engine will continue to run. This will tell us whether your fuel tank is venting or not.

Sometimes a venting issue can cause our problem.

I actually tried that already , I just cant figure out where else or how else it is sucking oil , unles it is blowing by the rings. I was just curious if it was somthing else

You could have some blow by, or your breather assembly could be failing.

At only two years old, hopefully your rings are ok.

What brand is your engine?

where is the breathr?

I will need the make and model numbers for your engine. With this information I can give you the exact location.

Look for a black rubber hose that goes from your engine to the housing that is attached to your carburetor. This hose is your breather hose. Your breather assembly will be at the end of the hose that is opposite your carburetor.

If you can get your engine to run long enough, the white smoke will probably clear up. I suggest that you remove the bowl from your carburetor and give it an inspection, just in case.