Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a onan 5500 that will not start on its own. i have to…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a onan 5500 that will not start on its own. i have to mess with the choke linkage and then it will start. after it starts it will run for awhile and shut down on its own. If i turn on the ac while it is running it will run for hours.(under load of ac ). What do you think is the problem ? Our last trip i shut down the ac and the generator shut down also. Do i need a new carb ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/13/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Is it running on gasoline, or LP?

5.5hgjab-1038c it runs on gas. It's giving me a code of 14.

I am very sorry for the delay. I am fighting bronchitis, and it is kicking my butt. I haven't been able to do anything at all.

The hard starting, shutting down on code 14 when the load is removed, both point to a gummed up carburetor. One of the fuel circuits has gotten plugged up.

Unfortunately, this carb is not rebuildable, so the remedy is a new carb.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 7 months ago

Hello, was this what you wanted to know?