Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Ariens stops and won't start up again! what should I do? I…

Customer Question
Ariens stops and won't...

Ariens stops and won't start up again! what should I do? I replaced the carburator and fuel filter,it still won't start up.Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, have fuel in tank,do not have a shut off valve!?

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

Fuel won't go to the carburator

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes,if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

How does the fuel shut off system work?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
11/10/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Engine make and model? When it quits and doe not start, does t have spark if you remove the spark plug and ground it. to the metal of the engine, while cranking? No spark,Briggs engine, you have a bad coil.

The problem is the gas isn't reaching the cylinders ...it is a Kohler,model :SV590
Have had a stroke ,result is my speech is bad!

No problem, we can work from here. In the base of the carburetor is an electric solenoid, it has to open as soon as the key is turned on. If it does not open, the main jet stays closed. Check it.

I just bought anew carburetor and solenoid....and still no gas coming in..??

Fuel line from tank flowing full stream to the carburetor?

If you put gas direct into the cylinder, will it start for a few seconds? If it does, it is carburetor, or the solenoid in the carburetor.

Will check that out and also,what about the wire to the solenoid,should I check on that?

OK> Thanks