Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Lt3000 Craftsman riding lawn mower with a Briggs…

Customer Question
I have an Lt3000...

I have an Lt3000 Craftsman riding lawn mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. My carbueator does not seem to be working, when I try to turn it on it pops every time I try and spews out a lot of gas. The oil and gas are not mixing, it's just popping and spewing out gas when I try to start it up which results in it not working. How can I go about fixing this and what is the source of the problem? If you can tell me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I am able to do so then yes. I just need to know what is wrong and how to fix it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just what I've told. That is the only thing that prevents the mower from working

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 5 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

It is very likely that your needle valve is not properly sealing in your carburetor seat. Have you remove the bowl from your carburetor, to inspect for sediments?

Thank you and I would like to inform you that anything that you tell me I am unable to perform it today for it is late and too dark outside; however, I will be able to use this information that you willprovide tomorrow.

No problem. Tomorrow will be fine.

I would like for you to still explain what can be wrong today

Ok. Is your engine a single cylinder or a twin cylinder engine?

A single

Thanks for this information.

I can send the mod

Ok thanks ...

I can send the model number and serial number if that helps

The model numbers will be great.

The model number is ***** 276817

Thanks for these numbers.

Have you found out what could possibly be the reason for my problem?

First remove the fuel bowl from your carburetor and inspect it for sediments. Also, check to see if your float will move up and down freely, without sticking.

It is very likely that you will need to give your carburetor a really good cleaning.

then? After I do that then what else after that?

Have you checked your air filter?

Check to see if the carburetor in the images above, is similar to your carburetor.

the air filter is fine; however, when the carbuerator spews out gas then it gets into the air filter and fills the filter with gas
It is similar to mine yes

OK ...

After I clean my carbueator ten what? Say I plug it back in and it stil does not work what then? And say I buy a new one and it still spews out gas then what?

Your carburetor have a bowl vent that could be clogged. A clogged bowl vent will also cause your carburetor to flood. A good soaking and cleaning will take care of a clogged vent.

If you clean your carburetor and it still does not work, I do believe that a new carburetor will resolve our problem.

that should be the only after doing all these things by what you're saying should fix it correct? If you were to scale the probability that this is indeed the problem and doing what you say should fix it what would the probablilty of it working be? Out of 100% and be realistic please

I am always 100% realistic. Your satisfaction is very important to me. There is no way of being 100% sure that a suggestion will work, but based upon experience, the possibilities are great.

How long has it been since your engine last started up and performed to your satisfaction?

I can't say for sure it is guess about a month

How old is the gas you are using at the moment?

If I have any further questions regarding my lawnmower am I able to ask them tomorrow?
It is new gas only about 2 days old

Yes, you can ask questions tomorrow. I will be here. Did you drain old gas to put in the new gas?

I did drain out the old gas to put in the new gas; however I was not the one who had done it my father is the one that replaced the gas I was not there to witness it but I'm 100% sure he had done it

The reason I asked, is because by the time you filled your fuel tank with fresh gas, the old gas had already created issues within your carburetor.

This is why I believe that your carburetor is at fault.

How should I go about foximg those issues? Are the fixable?

You will need to remove your carburetor from your engine. Take pictures and make notes as you remove your carburetor. This will make re-installing your carburetor much simpler.

Next, you will need to disassemble your carburetor. Refer to the images in the link I sent you above.

Before putting your carburetor back on, make sure your fuel tank is clean, and replace your fuel filter.

You can use a small wire and some carburetor cleaner in a can, to clean the small jet and fuel passages in your carburetor.

I recommend that you soak your carburetor prior to cleaning it.

Use the video for reference only. You will not have to do everything that is done in the video.

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician