Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My mower was new this year and while mowing it suddenly

Customer Question
My mower was new...

My mower was new this year and while mowing it suddenly quit. it will only run in the choke on position and engine dies with a backfire when throttle is pulled back off of choke

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Cub cadetxt1 and is 4 months old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can , otherwise I will need to locate a dealer near longview wa.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The plugs have spark and it cranks over normally. To meit seems like an electrical problem when coming off choke, if that is even possible

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 9 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Your carburetor have a fuel shut off solenoid. You and I need to determine if it is working properly.

Your fuel shut off solenoid should click each time you cycle your ignition switch on and off. It has a spring loaded plunger that must retract, when your ignition switch is on, to allow fuel to flow within your carburetor. Sometimes this part will fail either before, or after it reaches full operating temperature.

It clicked once when turning key and did not click on or off after that

Thank you for checking.

If your solenoid is not clicking, this can restrict the fuel flow into your carburetor, and prevent your engine from running properly.

If you have a 12 volt test light or a multimeter, check to see if you are getting voltage to your solenoid, when your key is in on position.

We can continue from here.