Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I replaced the fuel lines with a kit including all tubing…

I replaced the fuel...

I replaced the fuel lines with a kit including all tubing grommet clunk etc. I replaced the fuel primer bulb. I have a Echo 216 weed trimmer. Fuel primer won’t pump gas. Made sure tunings were on correct. Help?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

All day! Tired

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I did the work myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I tested the fuel line by drawing gas out w a syringe. Put new air filter on. I feel some resistance when pressing the primer bulb. Which I replaced.

10/21/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Still will not pump fuel in the fuel lines are correct the issue is internal in the carburetor the gaskets are not working like they need to you will either need to rebuild the carburetor or replace the carburetor. Many times you can find these carburetors on Amazon or Ebay for the same cost of a carburetor kit and you will not have all the time in to cleaning and rebuilding.
Any special tricks? I thought of taking bulb back off and suction ports with a syringe. Waste of time?
To be clear I’m talking about primer bulb not filling with gas before trying to start.
The lines are clear. Then yes.
Double check to make sure that the fuel filter is on the line that the fuel goes in and the fuel that goes back into the tank is out. I would say that it is the carburetor that is causing the problem here.
I see this many times a day that people do the same things that you have done but still have the same problem and I end up cleaning the carburetor or replacing it and problem is solved
Gas flow for these engines are from gas tank to the carburetor through the carburetor into the primer bulb and then back into the gas tank. If fuel is not getting into the primer bulb then it is not getting into the carburetor which means the carburetor kit is bad and not allowing fuel in
The primer bulb actually pulls fuel through the carburetor when pressed
You’re right. I know. Need trimmer soon. Tomorrow is Sat. Small engine shop closed. Had help coming this weekend. :-(
I would search online for replacement carb. Very inexpensive most of the time and easy bolt on. Quicker and simpler than cleaning and rebuilding one
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
I’m too old to be doin this stuff. Spent a lifetime fixing stuff.
Your answer makes sense should have done that to start with. Thanks.