Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Kohler Model #M18GS, Spec. #24552, Ser.

Customer Question
I have a Kohler...

I have a Kohler Model #M18GS, Spec. #24552, Ser. #1704305016. It has been converted to propane. When I try to start it., I get a "Over Speed" light and it dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

What should I look for to correct or fix it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Where to go for a service manual. Nothing else at this time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/21/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model and serial number of the genset itself?

All of the information is in my original question. The generator itself is a Power Guard with remote and local start. I get "Over Speed" on the local start switch.My question is why do I have a "Over Speed" light notification? Is this problem associated with the Gen controls?
Where can I get a repair manual for this Kohler engine?
I don't have the information on the generator itself.

The numbers you gave me are for the engine - they do me no good.

I have to know the information about the genset.

The over speed is a function of the genset control, not the engine. If I don't know which genset this is, I can't help.

I will get it by one week from Monday. The Gen set is at my home in the Mts. It is a 4hr drive from here and I have to work this week. Sorry to put you thru all of this.
Bob

That is no problem at all. I am used to having to wait.

A lot of people aren't allowed to store their RVs or boat at their homes, or don't have room for them, so when they have a genset issue, it may take them a while to get to it.

I also get cussed out a lot, and get called childish names - and I thank you for not putting me through that.

No problem. I've had my share of childish responses over some trivial matters. Service Techs are born with broad shoulders.
Bob

Yup- and thin checkbooks.

What is a checkbook?

LOL

Good evening Hank:
Here is the info that you ask for:
Genset is pow'r Gard Mod#NAC4.5, S/N # 882423, 4.5 KW, 4.5 KVA, RPM 1800, 120/240 V, 1Phase, PF 1. Gen is driven by the Kohler twin cylnder 18HP motor.
The genset has a control module produced by Brouchette Electronics Inc. Appleton WS. 54915. Model #A121A.
Bob mitchell

That is a unit made by Baldor, and I have nothing on it at all.

I am going to have to opt out of this one, and let someone else take it. Sorry.

That5 mis strange. I found the Brouchette Electronics Mod. A121A controller on line 5min. after searching for it. It includes wiring dia. and instructions. I just need someone to interpret it in Laymans terms.
Sorry to see you go Hank.
Bob Mitchell