Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

New starter and solenoid but the starter will not engage.

New starter and solenoid...
New starter and solenoid but the starter will not engage. Looks like the starter is turning backwards. Any suggestions
10/19/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Was battery replaced? Are cables on correct terminals? That will make starter turn backwards.

No and the cables are on the correct terminals

OK, Is battery voltage above 12.5 volts?

No I am trying to jump start it due to dead battery

You are not getting enough voltage to the starter to kick out the gear and engage the flywheel.

Ok I'll get a charger and charge the battery

OK< battery has to be at least 12.5 volts . to engage the starter.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician