Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

20Hp Kohler petrol motor in mower back firing through carby.

Customer Question
20Hp Kohler petrol motor in...
20Hp Kohler petrol motor in walker mower back firing through carby
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 25 yrs old walker MT ride on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If Possiable
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Motor is using oil
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/17/2017
Technician: Machinc, General Contractor replied 3 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Backfiring and using oil are a sign that the rings need replacing .
More...
Before you get that deep into things first pull your plug
And take a look
Its condition can tell you much.
Ignoring the usual rich lean tan black signs you are looking for oil on the plug.
More.....
If there is oil on the plug then worn rings are the likely culpret .
You will need to pull the head and and cylinder and check the
piston and cylinder for damage .
Correcting all of that and replacing the rings should correct the problem. This is refered to as rebuilding the top end.
No problem for a mechanic who has small engines as their business.
This is not to imply that You couldnt give it a go yourself .
Takes a few special tools but its not too hard to do.
More.....
If the plug is not oily or wet there could be other causes bit most of them cause poor fuel consumption rather than using oil.
Storing the machine on the slant can also cause oil to get in the wrong place and simulate the condition
More....
Im guessing this is unlikely.
What you have said about the age of the machine brings ne back to the rings .
All of this said a very good cleaning of everything including
removing the carby may reveal something as simple as a broken or lose wire or a wire grounding out or some woulld say shorting.
Run the machine in total darkness and look for sparking along or near any of the wiring or the main spark plug wire.
If you see any replace the wire or correct the connection where the spark is occuring
More.... .
If you dont find any of this happening then once again that brings you back to the rings.
If there is a sparking /wiring problem you will stillhave the oil consumption to deal with but the machine can still run .
If rings are causing that it should smoke a bit out the exhaust and this is something you would not want to let continue for too long bringingus back to the rings needing replacing .
Other oil consumption problems without smoke coming out the exhaust are worn gaskets and any oil leaks you should be able to find by their oily trail from the source .
More...
basically your first steps are clean up of machine and inspection of wiring and then move on from there to things like overhauling the top end .
(Replacing gaskets and rings)
This should get you going and correct the backfiring.NOTE: this is all based on assuming you have already done the basic maintenance / points ,spark plug and filter/s air and fuel
l
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor