Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

SUBSTANTIAL TIP if you solve my problem. You MUST carefully…

SUBSTANTIAL TIP if you solve...
SUBSTANTIAL TIP if you solve my problem. You MUST carefully read the history if you want to help.This is a B&S engine from a sicklebar mower. Model 114987. Type 0185-01 Code 89121904. It is something like 15 years old. The engine was running 100% PERFECT until the center mount tab on the fuel tank cracked off. BS sent me a "Exact replacement" (HAHA) that came nowhere close to being the right thing for this engine. I finally did locate a brand new OEM unused fuel tank. I purchased a new gasket for the tank to carb. It started but was erratic. I then noticed that the choke spring was broken. I ordered a genuine BS part and installed it. The engine will start with quite a bit of cranking HOWEVER the main problem is that the rpm is WAY HIGH. This is even when there is no tension being put on the linkage spring. I was told that I should simply bend the steel tab that the spring is attached to and get the right hi rpm set that way. That will not work due tothe great amount of bending I would have to do. My only question is the proper method to install the choke spring. I snapped it onto the flap in the throat and then stretched the spring loop about 1/5th of a turn counter clockwise to hook the loop onto the staked pin. The bottom 1/2 of the plastic bobbin that the spring is wound on is painted black. Is that an aid in installation?? Why can't normal assembly make this run at the normal 3500 speed?
10/14/2017
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician

H​ello, that is an auto choke style carb. Did you replace the diaphram assy when apart?

Here is a little info.

More info :

Hi...thanks for the information. I am going to read through it again, probably twice more, and then make sure the new choke spring is installed exactly as shown. I DO know that I wrapped the spring AROUND the two posts on the diaphragm instead of within the two posts. The diaphragm is a new one. The tank is original OEM. The carb is the original, but was working 100% before the tank tab failed. I am SO puzzled here. I have spent SO much time on it thinking that each step I take will be the last one before it works normally. I just find it unusual that when there is zero tension on the spring that at that point is where the speed is around 3400 or so. I am fairly sure that the spring should have SOME tension at normal operating speed----right? This truly is a mini nightmare. I will return when I complete the tests and adjustments you suggested. Later...Len
Ok, here is what I did. Some items I didn't think would make a difference, but did them anyway.
1. removed spark plug, sandblasted it and gapped it. It was not fouled.
2. Blew out the cylinder before putting plug back in. It was not full of fuel.
3. Removed carb ( which is brand new BS OEM part to make sure the diaphragm was installed correctly. It was. Drained the tank & put new gas in.
4. With the instructions & pictorials you send I noticed that I had not installed the thermostatic spring properly. It IS installed now as per the instructions.
5. With starting fluid in hand I gave it a try. It cranks fine, but it now will not turn over. and file just ONE test signal.
Disregard the last half of sentence number 5.

D​id you check the air vane governor for breaks or cracks? Does the gov link look bent? Also check the intake tube for cracks or just loose. (#625) https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/briggs-stratton/100000-19z999-series/114900-to-114999/114987-0185-01/cyl-oil-fill-piston-mufflers

Disregard first sentence above. Did you check gov adjustment?

Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Vince, I absolutely HATE THIS SITE. I just spent 25 minutes documenting what you and I did and what fixed the engine and then this site ATE THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!! If you wish to phone sometime I can tell you what the problem is but I cannot take another block of time only to have this site eat it again.(###) ###-####in Colorado. The tip I will give is the most I can afford because I am on exclusively social security to live on. Sorry it cannot be more Vince.Len
I wrote and left an extremely favorable review of your most excellent service. AGAIN!! THIS DAMN site ate my review. UNBELIEVABLE. Now I am trying to tip but is is not letting me. I will phone ja tomorrow and get the tip headed your way and complain about this 10 cent site. Please be patient. You can certainly phoneme for more info if you desire. Len(###) ###-####

I can not call you but am glad to hear I was able to help.

Please tell me if you did or did not get the tip I left for you. AND did the review show up? I never can tell what this site is going to do and I want to make sure those two things went through. Oh, the machine is running super. Used it for a few hours today. Oh, since you are Mr. Expert, just a very minor follow up question: When adjusting the mixture screw should I put it EXACTLY between lean and rich stalling OR a hair lean or a hair rich? Always wondered that. OH, if you wish me to make this a separate question please just tell me and I will do it. I appreciate you! Thanks!!

I​ like them a hair rich but not so much as it sputtering and blowing black smoke. Thank you kindly for the good review. What was the exact problem? I did not receive the bonus you sent. Thanks again.

The initial problem was a cracked fuel tank. I found a new old stock one and used the orig carb. But I had received bad advice from someone else on how to set the governor rod to vertical lever. Once I got that set correctly everything flew. I tried to send you a $12.00 tip. I will phone the company and ask them how to get it done. If you don't see a 12.00 tip in the next day or two then there is a problem for sure. I AM willing to simply send you the $12.00 to ANY paypal address you wish. Just let me know if you want me to do it that way. You will not get a chunk taken out that way. I will not contact ja until you tell me which way you prefer.

That's very nice of you but we must follow the JA guidelines and go through the site.