Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a '91 Fleetwood with and Onan 6500 in it. The gen has…

Customer Question
I have a '91...

I have a '91 Fleetwood with and Onan 6500 in it. The gen has a bowl on the carb which has eleveation adjustment indications on it. How is this adjusted and how many turns should the screew on the bottle of the bwe adjusted in/out?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Well for over a year but use has been sporadic. I havent replaced the fuel filter yet but that is next.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if I can.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just replaced the control board. I have adj the screw on the bottom of the bowl and at this point it is hard to say where it is.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/6/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Emrald PLus 6500
I replaced the control board day before yesterday and the gen seemed to run pretty well after a bit of trouble geting it to start. Yesterday things went down hill and it would keep running and eventually it wouldn't start. I did adj the screw on the bottom of the bowl and at this point I'm sure its out of adj.
1 other thing I live at 8000' in Colorado.

Emerald Plus is not a model number - it is a family class.

I need to know the actual model number.

Let me go look.
6 5NEFA261000 LAST NUMBER IN THE SEQUENCE IS A LITTLE HARD TO READ BUT i'M PRETTY SURE IT IS A 0.

There is no model NEF. I suspect what you have is a 6.5NHEL-26100C.

The starting point for the main mixture screw on this carb is 2 - 1/4 turns out from lightly seated.

Once you have the carb dialed in, then you install the limiter cap so that it points to whatever elevation you are at.

It wold seem the bowl turns to whatever elevation you want do you have to loosen the screw on the bottom all the way to get it to turn? The 6 5NEFA261000 uo until the last zero is very legible and it is listed as Model #. I will go look again.
The last digit could be a C, the rest is accurate.

Your data tag may be damaged. There is no model NEF or NEFA.

But for the N and NH series, you can use 2 -1/4 turns as a starting point.

The bowl does not turn to adjust for elevation. That limiter cap is pressed on to the main mixture screw. You turn the mixture screw to adjust for elevation.

I'm going to go take a pic. the rim above the bowl has an arrow molded on it which points to a label with elevations so the bowl turns somehow. I'll be back with pics in 5 or so.

That is a 6.5NHEFA.

The arrow on the carb housing is not for altitude adjustment. It is just a casting mark.

You do not turn the bowl to adjust the fuel mixture - you turn the main mixture screw.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician