Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Kubota 2700 series zero turn. How do you hold the pully

Customer Question
Kubota 2700 series zero...

Kubota 2700 series zero turn. How do you hold the pully shaft while taking the lock bolt out which is torqued very heavy

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

How do you hold the pully shaft while taking out the magnetic clutch mounting bolt which is torqued very heavily? boyd

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Model z725kh Mower is in the barn and I can't get serial number right now.
10/5/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 10 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

use a small rope with a knot in one end to stop the piston from moving. you will need to shove the rope into the cylinder until you can no longer turn the engine over by hand, and then the bolt should be able to be loosened. it may take a few tries at times. make sure to leave enough rope outside of the cylinder to pull it back out

I will see if I can find a video of how to do it.

There is no cylinder. It is a shaft with the power pulley on from the motor. I sent you a picture. Please give me a proper answer boyd
Do you really knowanything about Kubota's? Boyd

the engine cylinder. you are trying to remove the electric clutch correct?

I have workedon small engines for years and there is no way I would put that much strain on the piston rod !! Boyd
What about a rope around the pully above the clutch How would you tighten it enough to keep shaftfrom rotating. Boyd
I am unsure what you are referring to, as this does no damage to the engine. Apparently you do not have the proper tools for removal so I was giving you an alternative removal method. I've only been doing this for 18 years and have never had an issue. I will OPT OUT and see if another expert can assist you.You have to stop the piston for removal since you do not have a impact though.
I have performed this many times in the past. You use rope as it is soft and will not damage the piston or cylinder. I doubt you will be able to hold shaft or top pulley still with rope.
Rope piston stops are not uncommon. Google it or go on YouTube and you will see many videos. People mainly use them on 2 cycle machines
Jon You think the magnetic clutch is on the main engine shat. that is not true. It is driven by a v belt toa pully above the magnectc pto clutch. I am not belittling you. You just have the wrong idea on the set up. How can I hold the pully stationary and then remove the bolt ? Boyd

I apologize, I looked up the wrong machine. can you upload a pic to here please?

am scanning a picture- will send it to you boyd