Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an older 11 hp on a Murray riding mower that has been…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older 11 hp on a Murray riding mower that has been running good with no problems. Up till a few days ago the rpm keeps surging and eventually shuts down. I let it sit for a while and it starts right up and I got to mow about 40 feet and it starts in surging and shuts down. I finally got it running and I had to place the throttle partially in choke to keep it running. Help

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

All the above has been checked and good

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Oh! I checked the compression and it stopped at 60 psi

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/5/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 10 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Have you checked to see if you are getting a steady flow of fuel from your fuel tank to your carburetor?

IT is very likely that you will need to remove your carburetor, and give it a really good cleaning.

Surging is an indication that your carburetor is starving for fuel, due to either a partially clogged jet or a partially clogged fuel passage in the body of your carburetor.

You and I can continue from here.