Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Echo PB250 blower made in July of 2013. When you…

Customer Question
Hi! I have...

Hi! I have an Echo PB250 blower made in July of 2013. When you pull the choke lever back after starting, it acts like it floods out and stalls. It hasn't been used very much and is supposed to have a 5 year warranty. From what I understand is that Echo is not very conscientious about honoring this warranty. My old Echo Blower lasted for 15 years. If I have to buy a new one what do you recommend?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

There is fuel in the tank. Yes it is clean fuel with stabilizer in it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's not too difficult, I probably could.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really Pearl. Ran my chainsaw with this fuel earlier in the summer and the chainsaw ran fine.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/4/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 8 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Are you working on this now? Should I wait?

I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions.

I'm not going to do it right now. My phone isn't with me right now.

No problem. The phone call is only option. We can continue on this discussion page.

I used to own a Briggs & Stratton Service Distributorship. I am reasonably certain I can do the work if I know what to do.

How long has it been since your blower engine last started up and performed to your satisfaction?

Problem started about a year ago. I thought it might be bad gas, but fresh gas didn't help.

Thanks for your response. How long was the bad gas inside your fuel tank, prior to you pouring fresh gas inside your fuel tank?

Probably 3 or 4 months. It actually ran fine on that gas until I ran out. The problem seemed to start when it stalled out and I refilled it. The oil says it has stabilizer in it. I also poured some SeaFoam down the carburetor.
Echo always used to be good stuff. Are they not that good these days?

Echo blowers are still good units. I believe your carburetor is at fault. Have you tried a new spark plug?

No not yet. It starts and will run at full choke. It's when I try to open it up that it stalls. That sound like a spark plug to you. I was going to change that and the fuel filter. Air filter looks like new.

I understand you now. Your engine will only run when your choke is on?

Disregard the spark plug for now.

Your carburetor will need to be cleaned.

Yep. It will keep running at full choke. I can actually use it, but it is weak and eventually gets weaker.

There is an inlet screen inside your carburetor that is likely partially clogged.

These screens will appear clean and shiny, although they are clogged.

Do you have easy to understand instructions on how to locate and clean it. I already put some Sea Foam in it. I was reading that they have had carburetor problems with this unit.

Your carburetor is a Walbro carburetor, which a quality brand. The ethanol in fuel is actually what causes carburetors to fail in many cases.

If you have never been into one of these carburetors, it may be better to replace your carburetor.

I know it can be a problem. I am using 89 Octane gas to mix with.
That's what I heard. Do you know how much one is approximately?

If you can find non-ethanol fuel in your area, I highly recommend using it.

You think it is worth it? Can buy an entire blower for $149.00. If it needs more than cleaning, it would probably cost me at least 80 or 90 to have a dealer do it.

Some dealers are charging $85.00 an hour and up.

You can get a carburetor kit for around $8.00 - $10.00.

That's what I mean. Maybe I should explore my options. Are Stihls better than Echo? Some comment I read said they have done a better job of adjusting to ethanol fuel.

If you choose to purchase a new blower, I would recommend a Stihl blower. Stihl products are high quality and built to last. I personally own Stihl equipment.

That's what I'm hearing. I might check some out. The Echo never seemed quite strong enough. Thanks Donald.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.