Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Onan Diesel 8000 quiet generator in my RV. It

Customer Question
I have an Onan...

I have an Onan Diesel 8000 quiet generator in my RV. It works find and charges the house batteries fine, but drains the chassis batteries when running. Any thoughts as to what is the issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

QD 8000 Onan Diesel and is 12 years old. Exercised but not used and stored indoors. FIres up easily, runs well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

This has been an issue for several years now but just realizing why the chassis batteries are dead after dry camping as when it is running it is draining the.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/4/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
You have one of 2 things going on here:
1. If this genset is equipped with battery charging capabilities, which most RV gensets are not, the battery charge circuit is malfunctioning.
2. The genset is connected to the chassis batteries, instead of the house batteries.Most RV gensets do not have battery charging capabilities for the simple reason that since an RV is equipped with a power converter that keeps the batteries charged, a battery charge circuit is not needed, and is an unnecessary expense. You normally do not see a genset with a battery charger until you get up into the C/M gensets.
Most Onan genset models that can be configured for both RV and C/M use will have a sticker on the front stating that a battery charger is present or not.
Your issue is exactly why an Rv genset is normally connected to the house batteries, and not the chassis batteries - because the genset will drain the chassis batteries if there is no battery charger, and rhe converter will not charge the chassis batteries. It is only connected to the house batteries.
Thank you for the reply. I will look on the front and see. The thing is, this never was an issue before. And if it's not connected to the chassis, why is it draining the chassis (even with the chassis disconnected switch on) in only 2 days to completely dead? The chassis batteries only drain like that when running the generator.
If the genset is not connected to the chassis battery, there is no reason it should be draining it.
Our service tech tested and the only time it drained (and did so quickly) was when the genset was running. It didn't drain otherwise.
That's why I'm believing your genset is connected to chassis battery.
You need to verify if it is or not, and we can go from there b
I am forwarding various pics I took of the Genset as well as the battery bank and inverter. I didn't see any sticker indicating a battery charger. I know I can boost the chassis batteries with the house batteries when they are low, so there is "some" connection there.
IMG_3670.JPGIMG_3670.JPGIMG_3677.JPGIMG_3677.JPGIMG_3673.JPGIMG_3673.JPGIMG_3674.JPGIMG_3674.JPGIMG_3675.JPGIMG_3675.JPGIMG_3676.JPGIMG_3676.JPG

You are able to boost the main batteries with the house batteries, because the auxiliary solenoid ties the 2 battery banks together. This is what the Auxiliary Start, or Emergency Start, or Battery Boost button is for.

You need to physically trace the cable down to see which battery set the genst is connected to.

Have you traced the cable yet?