Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

We have a roof top 4,000 Onan on our Horse trailer. about 60…

Customer Question
We have a roof...

We have a roof top 4,000 Onan on our Horse trailer. about 60 hrs. It will not keep running. Getting fuel, though we did have to dump the carb fuel bowl as it did not look real clean. Wants to start but will not kick over. Read that a lot of people have had issues. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes fuel in tank and it is clean. I asked my husband if there was a fuel shut off that I might have accidently hit. He did not know of one and I have only been around the tank which is at my height. We had not been on top with the gen whenthis started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

He wanted too as he is a mechanic, but it has him stumped

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

He did say the carb jets looked clean. We did find a ground cable disconnected but hooked it up and no difference. We were wondering how they grounded to aluminum? The priming pump is running at the tank level and there is fuel going into the carb.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Am I enrolled to receive help?
10/4/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset?
How long has it been since it has run regularly?
model # 4KYFA-6747PI was ran a month or so ago. We do not use it often.
prefer to text for now, since I am at work
I am also at work. I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings, but soetimes I hit a few questions on my breaks.
What fault code is the genset showing?
most of the time no fault code. one time it was the code for service required
wonder if I should have you work with my husband this evening when he is near the gen and knows more about the issues?
Once a code has been set, there is always a code present. You just have to go in and retrieve it.
A code 3 is a first level fault code, and indicates that a secondary code has been set.
I will need to know that secondary code.
ok how do we pull it? I will have him do it this evening.
Press the stop button 3 times in 5 seconds. This will make the light start flashing 3 times. Then press stop once more, and count the flashes.
Ok will do that this evening.
Ok
he checked it and the secondary code was 14

Code 14 is Over Frequency. It means that the engine is running too fast, and is usually caused by a bad carburetor.

Coupled with the fact that you stated the bowl was dirty, you are going to need to replace the carb. This carb is not rebuildable.

Was this what you wanted to know?

we got it running using seafoam and soaking it good.