Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 7000 watt generac, portable with only 7 hours on it…

Customer Question
I have a 7000...

I have a 7000 watt generac, portable with only 7 hours on it (purchased 4 or 5 years ago) the electric start feature stopped working this summer, but I was able to start the engine with the recoil rope. I replaced the battery and now it won't start either electrically or by recoil. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot the machine?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, when I changed the battery I evacuated the fuel tank first and have now replaced it] with fresh fuel. The fuel valve is open per the picture on the machine

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is relatively simple fix I will if not could you recommend a service organization near East Hampton NY? (not in Ct which is across the Long Island Sound but your web site shows as close service centers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When I most recently tried starting it by the rope recoil (this past weekend) a couple of times it 'supper-ted' but would not actually fire. I then pulled it about 20 more times with no effect at all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/4/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What are the model and serial number of the genset?
Are you getting spark to the spark plug?