Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My cadet model 1872 shuts down after about 45 minutes of…

Customer Question
My cadet model 1872...

My cadet model 1872 shuts down after about 45 minutes of mowing.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It has new plugs, clean filters and carb. What is likely the cause

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not necessarily. But the last mechanic didn't solve the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not much except that once the tractor sets for a while, it starts up again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes to above.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/3/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Engine make and model? When it shuts down. how long before it will restart? Does it have spark when it quits?

The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 18HP.
When it shuts down it has spark and it has gas.
It will not re-start until about 1-2 hours.

This is the opposed twin cylinder flat head engine! Runs ok, but will not restart hot. And probably looses power. All signs that valves have no clearance. Valves heat up as it warms, and valves go to a negative, making valves leak. To check the valves, the intake and exhaust manifolds have o be removed, just to get to the vent covers over the valve pocket. If valves have zero clearnce, that is your problem. They should have .006 inch , but s long as they have some, they will work, Zero will not work. To adjust, the valves have to be removed and the tips ground off!

I see question is still open.??