Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Toro TimeCutter Z420 runs poorly. has always backfired at…

Customer Question
Toro TimeCutter Z420 runs...

Toro TimeCutter Z420 runs poorly. has always backfired at shut down. replaced carburator about a year ago. fuel spoiled again. used some additives and drained the bowl. currently it starts and runs, but only at idle throttle and at full choke. anything in between runs rough for 2 seconds and quits. played with the one adjustment screw with no success.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

No shut off valve. replaced filter a year ago. i'll check the fuel cap for air releif.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Y

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

How do you charge for your services

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/3/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

You have old carburetor? It would have electric solenoid in the base of it. Can you remove it, cut the tip off that closes the main jet, and install it in the new carburetor as a dummy, for test.

did not keep the old carb.

OK> The solenoid closes the main jet and has to open fully as soon as the key is turned on, I have tested new solenoids that seem to work, but cause problems when they are installed. Without having a dummy solenoid or an old bowl bolt from a Briggs is only way to really test.

i am happy to try the bolt or a new solonoid.
mostly i am hopeful to fix how the engine runs. at present it idles, and it works with the trottle all the way up to choke. any position between these two, the motor coughs, chuggs twice and dies.
could the bowl solonoid be casuing both the back fire and the poor running? for a couple years, the engine ran fine but had the backfire issue. we just got use to it.
Could it be that there is still remenants of the poor varnish fuel in there. I have a pretty healthy dose of jet cleaner in there. thanks

Will be solenoid, or the man jet is pluggged with debris. I would try it without the solenoid, with just bowl bolt, but I have extra bolt!

is it a special bolt. i may have a bolt with those threads. unless it needs a special profile.

It is a special bolt, with holes in the side, for fuel to go through.

I went ahead and bought another carb on Amazon, $25. http://a.co/hsWSrxz
has the fuel solenoid and fuel filter and valve. thanks.

OK< why not take the existing solenoid and cut the ti off, and try it as a dummy?

sure. cut the end of the piston off, at the relief?

Th e tip that plugs the inner port in carb.

ok, i am lost.
E-tip?
here is the solenoid: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31dn+9ZceYL._AC_US218_.jpgwhat gets cut?

The brass tip on the right side of the picture.

that is what i thought.
can i take a wire cutter or hack saw and nip it off at the narrow relief?
or is it a plunger and will fall out if i allow it.

I think it is crimped in. and has to be cut or pulled out.

I see question is still open.??