Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Having worked on auto engines for a number of years, I

Customer Question
Having worked on auto...

Having worked on auto engines for a number of years, I wonder if with my Generac Model 04390-2 only having run 11 hours since it was maintained last year & running Mobil 1, is it really necessary or wasteful to replace the oil>

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

10 years old with engine run time = 116 hours total - really just broke in

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have each year till now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just does it make sense to dump the Mobil 1 oil on eleven hours run time

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/2/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Is it necessary? Not really, bit for the Briggs twin engine, it only needs a little less than two quarts of oil. I would replace it and the filter, just to keep it fresh. The oil does not wear out, but i can be contaminated from moisture that gathers from incomplete combustion, where engine does not warm up and have time to cook the moisture from the oil.

I see question is still open.???