Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a guardian ultra source portable generator(15kw)

Customer Question
I have a guardian...

I have a guardian ultra source portable generator(15kw) model:004583-0. The problem that i have is i was connecting the generator to my house and forgot to turn off the main breaker out side of the house when i started it. Now after turning the main breaker off and connecting the generator i only get dim lights in the house.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if its not to difficult.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/2/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the serial number of the genset?

model :gps 17,500
model#004583-0
rated max power 17.5kw
serial#4420700
60 hertz
engine rpm :3600
did you get it.

Ok.

First, back feeding a house like that is both illegal and highly dangerous.

It can lead to a fire, or the death of a lineman working on the utility lines.

Any time you connect a genset to a home, it MUST be connected through an approved safety device, such as a transfer switch, or a generator interlock.

Simply relying on turning off a breaker is not sufficient.

There is a very good chance that you have burned the genset, but it may be able to be repaired.

The first thing you need to do is to disconnect everything from the genset, and start it up.

Measure both the voltage and frequency at one of the 120V receptacles.

What voltage and frequency is the genset running at?

i now that back feeding the house is dangerous. there were no fires and no one got hurt. Thanks but simply forgot.
could you just send me the steps on what i have to check and the readings range for each area.

I need to know what the voltage and frequency readings are to know where to check.