Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My troy bilt snow blower wont start new gas, fuel line,

Customer Question
My troy bilt snow...

My troy bilt snow blower wont start new gas, fuel line, starter, carb, spark plug...when I am using the electric start it almost sounds like it is running...seems like something electrical

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

There is gas, there is no shut off valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have been

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
10/1/2017
Technician: TECHPRO49, Small Engine Technician replied 10 months ago
TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Small Engine Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your small engine questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

ok have you checked to see if your getting actual spark yet?

ok
I used a spark plug tester it shows power from the coil to the spark plug and it has a new spark plug

ok if that seems strong , shoot some start fluid or brake cleaner something flammable into the intake and see is she fires up

can I use gas...I've used gas and nothing happened
I know it makes no sense...I've been working on it a long time

gas is fine, make sure though its a tiny amount as its easy to flood these types of engines

if that dosent work I would pull the plug and check it, then hook it up to the coil wire and touch it to engine and double check the plug is sparking

it didnt work...plug has a nice spark

ok so you may have a broken keyway on the flywheel, if the keyway is broken it will be out of time and not want to fire when its supposed to, I would pull that and see if it is broken

Are you saying the fly wheel should spin without resistance
I dont see a key way on the flywheel should I remove the piece which is held on by the bolt and see if there is a key way beneath it?

no it will act as though as its tight, the entire flywheel will need to be removed and you will see a keyway on the shaft that keeps it aligned

looks like Im going to have to rent a puller and I wont be able to do that till tomorrow

you should be able to take the nut off and lightly tap the center shaft with a hammer a rod as to not mare the threads and it should pop up.

I got it off...the key is there and I could see the key in the slot before I took the flywheel off

this is interesting, so the only other thing I could think it would be is the valves, you would want to pull the valve cover and rotate the shaft to see if there is anything out of the norm, and if you have the model number of the engine I can get you the adjustment specs

I dont see what I would call a valve cover and if it isnt this there is nowhere else to go?

there should be do you have a engine model number? and if thats not it we are overlooking something,

i think its a tecumseh 3565a

I wasent able to pull anything up from that number,

I really think its something simple that I am missing...I see no reason to talk on the phone...thanks

thats not me promoting you for the call its the system. I would just sleep on it tonight and it will come to you, its always after you walk away you will think of the problem,