Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Looking for starter motor for MEP003A 10KW diesel generator.

Customer Question
Looking for starter motor...

Looking for starter motor for MEP003A 10KW diesel generator. Was working fine after Hurricane Maria hit my home is St Croix. Battery lead sparked/fire and think I blew out the starter. thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Made by Libby Welding - military unit. Model # MEP003A, Onan 1990's?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have a monthly maintenance contract with local certified guy, but being in St Croix after the Hurricane trying to source parts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

You have model #...can you source parts, specifically the starter motor?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/30/2017
Technician: MyMastrMechanic,
 replied 10 months ago
MyMastrMechanic

Good afternoon, hope you are doing great! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you! Give me just a minute here to find the info you need!!

Technician: MyMastrMechanic,
 replied 10 months ago

Ok there are not too many of these floating around the market anymore it seems, but I was able to find one seller on eBay who has a handful of them and pretty decently priced as well!!

https://www.ebay.com/i/311631408633?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Does that help?

Hi Gabriel! I am meeting with a diesel mechanic tomorrow to take off starter and check part number. I am praying this will work. Can I get back to you tomorrow. Sincere thanks -John
Technician: MyMastrMechanic,
 replied 10 months ago

Yes John sounds good!! Let me know what ya find out!!