Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Hank. I have a generac IX2000. It starts but revs really…

Customer Question
Hi Hank. I have a...
Hi Hank. I have a generac IX2000. It starts but revs really high and there is no 120v power. Any ideas? Model is(###) ###-####serial is(###) ###-####
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
With the choke on the speed drops but with the choke off is when it runs really fast.
9/30/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, thanks for requesting me.
I work 2 day jobs, and normally help on Just Answer in the evenings, but sometimes I am anle to sneak in here during mu breaks. I may not be able to reply instantly, but I will reply.
When the unit is running, is the Overload light on?
Does it seem like it is running faster than normal?
Overload light is not on and definitely running faster.
Has there been any witk done to the unit recently?
How long has it been sitting?
No work done to it. It ran good for years. Sitting maybe 2-3 months from the last time it was used and working. Hasn’t been working for about a month and a half tho.

OK.

Remove the receptacle panel, and look at the wiring. Look for anything obvious - broken or loose wiring, shorts etc.

Do you see anything out of the ordinary?

Is the green status light on while the genset is running?

What rpm is the engine running at?