Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Kohler 20R0ZJ81 20KW Spec#189010 (25 yrs old)

Customer Question
I have a Kohler...

I have a Kohler 20R0ZJ81 20KW Spec#189010 (25 yrs old) Generator in Puerto Rico. It over loaded and the Auxiliary Fault light came on. The engine is working perfect, but it does not produce electricity. Tried to reset it, but it runs with out generating, and the Aux F L stays on . Please advise.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a Kohler 20R0ZJ81, 25 years old, as I previously mentioned.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well , if it is a board or part to be replaced, I will do it on myself. I have been trying to get a technitian in the island with out success, due to the situation from the Hurracane.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

AS I mentioned, the engine works fine, but it does not generate. Could there be a special way to reset it? Is there a fuse that burned out, and if so where?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/30/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

There are 6 major faults that can set the Aux fault.

A couple of them are pretty simple to test, but a couple of them can be very time consuming, especially in an environment like online. It could take several days, or even a couple weeks to get to the bottom of this.

I know you are in a hurry, to get power back on, and don't have that long.

What I can do, if you are agreeable to it, is to just upload the service manual for this unit, and let you work on it at your own pace, instead of having to wait for me.

Would that be acceptable?

Do I have to pay for the manual?

No, it would be included in what you agreed to pay for our help.

The only way it would cost any more than that, would be if you felt the service was good enough to deserve a bonus.

This manual would not just be viewable online - you would actually download it onto your computer, and it is completely printable if you want a hard copy.

For some odd reason, I feel you are taking me on a ride. This is a disaster in PR, and I am trying to assist this family in their misery, and it feels that as if you guys only goal , is to get more money, instead of helping. I really hope that I am wrong for having this goad feeling. It is Friday nite, and the Kohler dealer in Orlando is not working until Monday. That's the reason, I hoped to get some genuine advise, from you guys.
I am sorry if I've been rude, and if so I apologize. We are going thru a very rough time with our love ones in the island. Pls upload the manuals to see how I may help them further.

Auxiliary - auxiliary lamp will flash immediately
if controller senses no AC output (except during
first 10 seconds after start-up).

- auxiliary lamp lights and engine stops 5
seconds after high oil temperature or low
coolant level fault (if equipped); inhibited
during first 30 seconds after crank disconnect.

- auxiliary lamp will flash if the DC power supply is connected with Generator Master Switch in RUN or AUTO position.

- auxiliary lamp will flash due to low voltage reset or hardware reset of controller board watchdog timer.

- auxiliary lamp lights and engine shuts down immediately if over voltage condition arises (if over voltage equipped).

- auxiliary lamp lights and engine shuts down if activated by sensing devices connected to auxiliary immediate shutdown ports (P1-17 an P1-18).

- auxiliary lamp lights if optional Emergency Stop Switch is reset with Generator Master Switch in the AUTO or RUN position.

These are the things that will cause the Aux fault to come on.

Right from the start, we need to know if the light is on solid, or if it is flashing, and the time frame it happens.

This is why it can take so long to do online - the results of one check determine what the next check is going to be. It can take forever to go like that - I am just trying to help speed things up for you - not make it harder.

There are actually 2 manuals that you will need. One is the actual service manual, and the other is the wiring diagram manual.

Click here for the service manual.

Click here for the wiring diagram manual.

I do feel bad for you all. I am glad to be landlocked.

I am still helping people from Harvey and Irma.

Thank you Hank.. I will down load the manuals and deal with it. If I need any additional assistance, I will contact you back. Once again, I am sorry for Bursting on you. God bless you!
Jose

I wish you the best of luck over there.

Please know that our prayers are with you all in this trying time.

Did you get the manuals?

Hello, did you get the manuals?