Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Not really an engine question. I can't get the broken

Customer Question
Not really an engine...

Not really an engine question. I can't get the broken steering wheel off of a 2014 Craftsman tractor mower (18.2 hp, 42" mower)

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Craftsman - bought in 2014 Model #917-28856

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I ordered the steering wheel and got it, but I can't get the old piece off (the steering wheel broke all around and left this piece in the center) can't get the bolt off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't have an impact wrench

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/29/2017
Technician: TECHPRO49, Small Engine Technician replied 8 months ago
TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Small Engine Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

can you send a picture of the wheel?

I don't have a cell signal where I live and it's a steering wheel on the Craftsman tractor. I think I just wasted $27
The picture shows the new steering wheel on the left; to the right of the mower lever is the stub out of the broken wheel. There is a nut on the shaft which turns the front wheels. If I try to use a wrench (crescent or socket wrench), it only turns the wheels and I cannot hold it steady or turn it. Any ideas? I've tried WD-40 on the bolt as well as some other product to loosen it. Nothing has worked.
I should have said the tractor steering wheelNo I don't want a phone call

just turn the wheels till they lock and then loosen it that way