Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have inherited an old 1970's Magnum 8 tiller [ my father…

Customer Question
I have inherited an...

I have inherited an old 1970's Magnum 8 tiller [ my father in laws ]. I have running after almost 30 yrs sitting. I put a new carb on it but when it is running it will not operate on no choke but almost full choke. It also backfires while it is running at different rates of intensity . It also ran with the choke on years ago because the piston and valves were black-black. Would putting on a newer electronic ignition help any? My local small engine guy is totally frustrated by its behaviour. Thanks for any input. Barry Waller

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the tiller? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Troybilt M8 K181. Purchased in the late 70's

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depending on the possible solutions ,yes. If not my engine guy will continue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Sorry about the delay. Internet not cooperating at all. Would a change to electronic ignition be any help if available? Thanks for any info that might help.[ Pearl Wilson]. Barry Waller

Mechanic's Assistant: Welcome! How can I help with your small engine question?

I have inherited an old 1970's Magnum 8 tiller [ my father in laws ]. I have running after almost 30 yrs sitting. Model M8T Spec # 301512. I put a new carb on it but when it is running it will not operate on no choke but almost full choke. It also backfires while it is running at different rates of intensity . It also ran with the choke on years ago because the piston and valves were black-black. Would putting on a newer electronic ignition help any? My local small engine guy is totally frustrated by its behaviour. Thanks for any input. Barry Walle

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly myself depending on the solutions. If not my trusting loan guy.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing at this point

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/29/2017
Technician: TECHPRO49, Small Engine Technician replied 10 months ago
TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Small Engine Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your small engine questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

It sounds like everything needs to be gone though, and clean and adjusted, as far as the newer ignition system is concerned you can get stringer coils, but it sounds like yours is doing ok and is off time, has he checked the flywheel to make sure is aligned with the crank so that its in time?

As far as I can tell it is aligned.

so its either that, the valves, fuel, or something is just worn out, with the age of it, it sounds like it just needs to be gone though and rebuilt