Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Craftsman Leaf Blower model No. 358.794810 and

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Craftsman Leaf Blower model No.###-##-####and after it starts, it stalls after a few minutes despite having fuel. Is it caused by the fuel filter that needs to be changed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I build engines but I need a manual in order to learn how to remove the fuel tank and then I'll install the new parts.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/29/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 10 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

here is a link to the owners manual, but the tank doesn't need to be removed to change the fuel filter

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/421279/Craftsman-79481-Professional-28cc-2-Cycle-Gas-Blower.html

use a pair of needle nose pliers and feed new fuel line into the fuel line holes on the tank to replace the filter. use extra line so you can grab the fuel line and pull it out of the tank to install new filter and then push back into the tank.

this is most likely a carb issue though and will require a carb clean and rebuild or replacement.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Thanks. I did use needle nose to pull the filter out, but it also pulled the line off of the other end. I'm going to have to pull the tank out to fix the line. But I can only see one hex screw at the bottom of the tank but after taking that one out, it's obvious of course that there are at least one or two more screws holding the tank in, but I can't see them, so I'm going to have to start pulling parts of the unit off to get to them. I need to see some photos, but the Sears video only showed the tank removal on a totally different leaf blower, so it didn't help me. I learned that the blower was actually a Poulan unit re-badged as a Craftsman. Do you have access to a Poulan shop manual? Their unit in yellow looks exactly like mine.

y​ou have to also remove the side of machine to release the tank, but only 2 screws I believe hold it on

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/358794810/0247/1503120.html

I'm sure your a very nice and competent technician, but you didn't tell me anything that I didn't know, for example I had already pulled the fuel filter out of the tank, but in the process the other end of the hose pull out, so I know have to remove the tank. I see one of the screws, but others need to also be removed, but in order to do that, I've got to disassemble some of the outer parts of the blower housing. I don't see the screws to do that at first glance and I didn't know if you had access to owners manual of other brands of blowers. I decided to contact Sears and they told me that the Poulan made my unit and I'll contact them for a manual showing how to remove the exterior covers in order to access the fuel tank.
Thank you for your help, but it wasn't anything I didn't already know, so I'm canceling my free trial. Also, I don't recall see the small print that warned me that the five dollar charge would grow to $25 dollars or so. At this rate this service can get expensive.
I guess it's all in the tools you have. I never remove the tank, but I have hemostats that reach into the tank. You can replace the fuel lines with a solid line instead if a line with the factory splice they have and it makes it easier to change out. Good luck, and I hope you get this going