Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a relatively new Craftsman Tractor that won't start.

Customer Question
I have a relatively...

I have a relatively new Craftsman Tractor that won't start. Put in a new starter motor, new solenoid, new spark plug but it clicks and won't turn over. Earlier I tried jumping it, may have fried the starter motor. Now what?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Fuel's clean.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/29/2017
Technician: topdogpeter,
 replied 10 months ago
topdogpeter

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** to assist you today. I read your notes and have a suggestion , to take the guess work out of thinking you fried the starter you can do a starter draw test on it . This will tell if the starter is drawing too much [POSSIBLE SHORTED] or not enough [possible bad connections or open in the circuit.

Technician: topdogpeter,
 replied 10 months ago

You can do this using a cheap ampere gauge that you simply hold on the battery cable as you try to start it. But before you do any starter circuit testing, make sure the motor itself turns freely.

Technician: topdogpeter,
 replied 10 months ago

here is a pic of what the gauge looks like as you can get this type for checking charging as well as starter circuit quick checks . You can find them in most automotive stores that sell tools and test equipment.

How do you do a starter draw test? I tried putting the red tester wire on the starter, black tester wire on the solenoid and the meter did not register anything intelligible (it was supposed to show a one volt drop). The starter has produced smoke during the several tries to start, its a new starter.
Now you want another $24! You haven't answered one question, sounds like a scam to me.
Cancel this service.
Technician: topdogpeter,
 replied 10 months ago

Sorry about that it was not I but the sight offers this service to let you know it is available if you feel it would benefit you , but we can proceed texting at your original agreement . No problem . So lets continue to help you out with this issue.