Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an onan 5.5hgjab-1038d gasoline engine in my rv. A…

Customer Question
I have an onan 5.5hgjab-1038d...
I have an onan 5.5hgjab-1038d gasoline engine in my rv. A few months ago I replaced the carberatur. After replacing the carb the engine starts fine but will only run for a few minutes and then shuts down. It shows a error code 36. I figured it might be a problem with the fuel pump so I installed a new fuel pump and fuel filter and am having the same problem. I then unhooked the main fuel supply from the camper and connected a fuel line directly to a fresh can of gas. Engine starts fine but only runs a few minutes before shutting down. This happens with or without a load on the generator.
Please help!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/29/2017
Technician: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Jason, My name is***** with me while I look up some info for you.

Code 36 is Engine Stopped Without Command from Controller.

There is a known common fuel pump problem on this model

Start and run until it shuts down. using a separate fuel container, put the fuel line into a container of fuel

Press and hold 'Stop/Prime' for 12-15 seconds.

When you press the switch, there will be a 3 second delay before the fuel pump activates

and you should get a good stream of fuel . If not it is an indication of a faulty fuel pump.

Let me know the results and if you need more help

As stated in my post, I have already done what you suggested including replacing the fuel pump.
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

For the few minutes it is running, is it running smoothly? Rough? Surging? Fast? Slow?

It runs perfectly smooth and then shuts off.

That is very strange. Normally, code 36 is a fuel related issue.

When it shuts down, will it start right back up, will it restart only with an extended crank time, or does it have to sit for a while before it will restart?

Have you removed the air filter and watched the choke plate while it is running and shutting down?

When just starting, the choke will be closed to partially open, depending on the ambient temperature.

Once it starts, it should open just a bit further, and then as it is running, it should open all the way within a couple minutes. Is it doing this?

Is it always giving a code 36, or is it sometimes giving a different code?

It is always a code 36. I think I took care of the issue. Even though the carb is less than 2 months old I took it apart and cleaned it. I took off the plastic elevation adjustment, took out the screw underneath it and cleaned it and the hole that the screw was in with carb cleaner. I reassembled everything and left the plastic elevation knob off. I then started the generator. The generator started fine but the choke kept adjusting itself to keep the engine running so I slowly turned the elevation adjustment screw counter clockwise until the engine ran smoothly. I let it run for 30 minutes with no load and then another 30 minutes under load and it seemed to be running great. I am going to test it again tomorrow.

OK.

Is everything good now?

Hello, did this take care of it?