Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Poulan 18" 42cc chain saw that wont fire or run. I…

Customer Question
I have a Poulan...

I have a Poulan 18" 42cc chain saw that wont fire or run. I have removed the spark plug and pulled the cord to see that it seems to be throwing a good spark across the plug. I have tried putting gas (and even starter fluid) directly into the cylinder but it still will not fire. We have fuel, spark and compression. What else can it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Put the saw away 4 months ago and it was working OK. Now will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes and Yes and as I said I have even tried direct input to the cylinder.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am trying. Not sure what cost would be for a pro?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Small Engine Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I can't know that in advance. Probably not worth $100.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What other trouble shooting can I do?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 10 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

OK

Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can? I like to use it to troubleshoot.

No carburetor cleaner on hand at this time.

No problem. Have you tried spraying starter fluid directly into your carburetor?

After you sprayed the starter fluid into your carburetor, did your engine attempt to start?

Did not fire at all even after trying procedure several times

You stated that you have fuel, spark, and compression. Have you tried a new spark plug?

No. But when I pull remove the plug and pull the cord it seems to be throwing a healthy spark across the gap.

Do you have another saw or trimmer that you could use to swap spark plugs, just to be sure your spark plug is not at fault?

I have a weed wacker and blower that I could probably borrow from.
It would be hard for me to do that and maintain this conversation because of my time constraints. Is there a way that I can try later and then pick up the conversation again?

Yes, we can continue when it is convenient for you, at no additional cost.

How do I get back to this?

There is a link in the email from Just Answer. If you click on the link in your email, it will open up this discussion page.