Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

ONAN 5.5 HDKBA-3590C GENERATOR TURNS OFF IMMEDIATELY AFTER I…

Customer Question
ONAN 5.5 HDKBA-3590C GENERATOR...

ONAN 5.5 HDKBA-3590C GENERATOR TURNS OFF IMMEDIATELY AFTER I LET GO OF START BUTTON...HAS RAN FINE FOR A WHILE ... IS IT LOW OIL SENSOR , VOLTAGE REGULATOR , CONTROL BOARD ? PLEADE ADVISE

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

FULL TANK....DEISEL ..

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I DONT THINK SO ... HAD THE BOARD REPLACED 5-6 YRS AGO

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/28/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What fault code is the genset showing?

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

not getting any fault code flashing...I depress start it cranks but shuts off when I let go , then no red flashing codes.... maybe I need to reset it like you indicated..thanks ,

If the genset is shutting itself down, it is setting a code.

I have made a short video showing how to properly retrieve it.

Click here to watch the video.