Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Rv onan generator question, it won't run and the code comes…

Customer Question
Rv onan generator question...

Rv onan generator question, it won't run and the code comes up #27, voltage sense fault

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Onan, 4000...model number is ***** 11 years on our rv.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure....it says the controller is unable to sense the output voltage and I don't know where the controller is?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, that's it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/27/2017
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 10 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

let me look that code up

HI

The code 27 that you say was given means that the A1 control is not detecting AC voltage, which in most cases is because it is not producing any AC voltage. If the A1 control does not detect AC voltage it will not run.

. Check the brushes, Check the wiring going to the brushes, the plug on the A1 control. The control is directly behind the start switch on the genset.Remove the battery cable and the screw beside the battery post. Lift up on the box to unhook the clips a the top. Pull it out. The larger box behind is the A1 control. Remove the three bolts holding that box in, unhook the plug. There are two screws in the box attaching it to the control itself take them out and slip it out of the box.

I hope this helps you

Hi. If this helped you Please rate my answer 4 or more stars. That is the only way I get credit for the questionor the money you paid stays at JA and I get nothing for my time.If you need more info use the REPLY buttonNot the Poor/Bad service.

Can I get to it without dropping the generator out of the rv?
no phone call

Hi

Yes follow the directions

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Sir, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

You have been given completely incorrect information. The previous post was geared to an HGJ series genset. It will not work on your KY series.

The brushes and brush leads on this unit are not accessible without removing the genset from the coach, and disassembling it. The brushes are located inside, behind the flywheel.

The first thing you need to do is to verify if the genset is actually producing voltage or not.

On the left side of the genset, coming out of the base toward the front of the unit, there is a gray 1" conduit. This conduit is about 3 feet long. Follow it to where it goes.

If it leads to a junction box under your coach, open that junction box.

Connect a voltmeter across the white and black wires, and press and hold the start button to keep the engine running for a few seconds. Note the voltage.

How much voltage is there showing?

If your conduit goes up through the floor of the coach, we need to take a slightly different approach.

On the panel that holds the start/stop switch, there are 2 - T30 Torx bolts that hold a plastic cover in place. Remove those 2 screws, and pull the plastic cover straight up and out.

There are 4 screws holding the control panel in place - one on the right side (it also holds a black wire), one on the left side going in through the divider, and 2 from the outside at the front of the base. Remove all 4 screws, and wiggle the control panel out. It is a very tight fit, but it will come out.

Once you have the panel out, you will need to reattach that black wire with one of the screws.

Connect one lead of your voltmeter directly to the back of the circuit breaker, and make sure the circuit breaker is on.

Connect the other lead of the meter to a good engine ground.

Press and hold the start button for a few seconds, and note the voltage.

How much voltage is showing?

Have you tested the voltage yet?